Pound Cake In Cupcakes???

Baking By scoutmamma Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 4:03pm by scp1127

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 16

Has anyone make poundcake cuppies??? if so, how long do you bake them... I am good at poundcake in a tube, or in regular cake pans, but i wanna make them in cuppies for my son's b-day... so any tips or ideas would be great!

That all being said... does anyone use a bowl of water in the oven? I find it helps, but with cuppies? IDK. thoughts pls!

15 replies
scoutmamma Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 16

so either i am crazy and no one has ever tried this or no one can help... either way it doesnt look good.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 16

I make pound cake cupcakes with no problems at all. My personal feeling is that you can make cupcakes out of any cake recipe.

As for baking time, I would try 15 minutes and check, then another 15 minutes, and so on until the cupcakes are set and a toothpick has a few crumbs on it. They don't have to brown all over the top.

Hope that helps!
Pam

scoutmamma Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 16

TY SOOO much Pam~! I was starting to think maybe i should try it... but maybe i will.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 16

scoutmamma, just curious how your pound cake cupcakes turned out because I was wondering the same thing?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

I make pound cake cupcakes with no problems at all. My personal feeling is that you can make cupcakes out of any cake recipe.
Pam

I agree with Pam. Just like any cupcakes, make sure they are served within 24 hours of being baked and they will be fine.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:09am
post #7 of 16

I put my grandmother's pound cake in those mini bundt pans (12 to a pan) and they turned out perfect. A little bit of browning was good for flavor and presentation. These pans are great for cake recipes (to cupcakes) with glaze or no topping because they are pretty on their own.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:50am
post #8 of 16

the pan of water in the oven? is that for moisture? i have a convection oven that i havent been using because my cuppies have been coming out soooo dry lately. of course i also turned the heater on so its really dry in the house right now too. does that affect it too? my mom says the last ones were so dry no one could eat them. thats the kiss of death to a cupcake maker!!! so would the water help??

scp1127 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 12:26pm
post #9 of 16

My convection makes them more moist. Are you overcooking them? Put test cupcakes in one at a time and try a few minutes less. Also, check your oven temp. My "perfect" home convection oven decided to go up 20 degrees on the day before Thanksgiving. My blondies were crumbly and dry. Luckily these were for family and they ate them all.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 16

well now see its funny u say that, i started making cupcakes in august, they were perfect! then in october i noticed they were taking longer to get done, now they are getting done too fast. its crazy. so i get a thermometer, and check the oven temp. what should i do to adjust it with baking time?turn it down, cook for shorter? i have not been using it because of this!

scp1127 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 16

Just watch the thermometer and bake as usual. I got in the habit of using the thermometer and I haven't called the repairman yet. If it is a newer convection, you can look in the manual and adjust the temp on the digital readout. But like you, I have odd readings, not just 20 degrees off at every temp. I probably need a new motherboard... $250.00 plus the housecall and installation.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 16

I am sitting here eating a marbled pound cake cuppie as I type one handed. These baked for 35 mins in a cold oven--a non-pre-heated oven. Made 'em yesterday and they will be fine for days. mmm

scp1127 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:12am
post #13 of 16

K8, why the cold oven? I haven't heard of that. Do they get crunchy on the outside? I use my grandmother's recipe and can't bring myself to branch out to other recipes, even though I should.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 16

Yes exactly, nice crust. I read that they did it during one of our war times to be prudent with the utilities. It's a classic--it's amazing. There are many variations--some have cream cheese--never a problem huh!

Google cold oven pound cake--tons of recipes.

I got my recipe from a dear friend.

YUMMY POUND CAKE
from jchanlette

3 cups sugar
2 sticks (1/2 lb) butter, softened
6 eggs, room temperature
3 cups cake flour, sifted (I use all purpose flour)
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use more)

* Butter and flour a bundt or tube pan.
* Cream sugar and butter thoroughly making a smooth fluffy misture
* Add eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition maintaining smooth fluffiness
* Alternately, mix in flour and cream, combine well
* Add vanilla extract
* Beat for two minutes
* Pour into prepared pan
* Set in COLD oven and turn heat to 350F
* Bake till done, about 70 mins, depending on your oven
* Cool 20 minutes
* Remove from pan and cool
* But remove quicker if you want to retain crusty crust.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:35pm
post #15 of 16

K8memphis - you continue to amaze me. Never heard of cold oven pound cake. I've put it in my recipe file. Thanks

scp1127 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:03pm
post #16 of 16

K8, thanks for the recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%