Cord Blood

Lounge By lecrn Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 2:16am by Luffie

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 6

I'm currently 4 months pregnant, and I'm considering collecting the cord blood @ birth. I've read of all the benefits it could create if something were to plague our family. I have a high number of family members that have died from varying types of cancer.
I've researched 2 companies so far, but was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experiences with particular companies?
BTW, I don't want this to turn into a debate based on moral issues. I am also well aware that further research needs to be performed on treating certain illnesses. I'm just seeking advice on those that have went through the process.
Thanks so much!!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 6

I donated our cord blood. I couldn't afford to pay to store it forever and I wanted someone to be able to use it. When you donate it, they ask you all kinds of bizarre questions...have you ever been a prostitute, etc...

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 6

I wish I had known about donation with my 1st child. I was ignorant of the fact @ the time & my doc. didn't mention it as a possibility when I brought up the subject. I think that I can afford banking it with this child (if I use some of my saved cake money).
Are you "credited" or given some sort of discount if you donate should you need it in the future?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 6

I knew about it when I was pregnant with my first child and was given the booklet/pamphlets on the companies here in Canada who store it etc...Did not do it however I have heard wonderful stories where the cord blood has saved a child with cancer or a sibling so the benefits are very positive.

letem_eat_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letem_eat_cakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:34am
post #5 of 6

I have looked into it but we are not able to afford to actually store it. I am considering the possibility of donating it however. We just haven't 100% decided yet.
I do know that the next time around, I will be better prepared and actually start a savings account for this purpose.

Luffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luffie Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:16am
post #6 of 6

My daughter did this and is very happy she managed to get it done. Her husband has a condition that causes his body to develop tumors, they are generally benign, but there have been some malignant also.

Their concern is that their daughter (my sweet g-baby icon_smile.gif ) may in future develop this condition as it can be hereditary, so they wanted the cord blood stored for her in case it is needed down the road.

A heads up, if you have a home birth it is tricky to have the collection done. My daughter chose the natural route "a-la-full-meal-deal" as I like to call it. She had our bebe at home, in a birthing pool, with family and midwives present. The midwives were "ok" to do the collection, but you could tell they didn't really approve of the process because it interrupted the natural birthing scenario. It did get done, but they weren't looking at the collection as high on the list of priorities, although it was very very important to my daughter - thankfully she had full control over the birth and made sure she got what she wanted icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%