Non-Perishable Fillings?

Baking By neecerator Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 9:51pm by CakesbyCarla

neecerator Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know how I can make a pudding or custard or filling that does not have to be refrigerated? TIA. icon_smile.gif

9 replies
TrixieTreats Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 10

Not sure if this helps, but the bavarian cream and chocolate bavarian cream filling sleeves do not need to be refrigerated. They are basically pudding. Also the cream cheese filling sleeve...

The only other thing I can think of would be to add pudding mix to bettercreme or frostin' pride/pastry pride, but that would obviously give you a lighter texture than regular pudding or custard. But, you might be able to play with that a little bit.

CakesbyCarla Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 10

Not sure this will help but here goes... What about twinkie filling? It goes with almost any type of cake, light, delicious and no refrigeration necessary. I believe the recipe I use was from here on CC....

neecerator Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixieTreats

Not sure if this helps, but the bavarian cream and chocolate bavarian cream filling sleeves do not need to be refrigerated. They are basically pudding. Also the cream cheese filling sleeve...

The only other thing I can think of would be to add pudding mix to bettercreme or frostin' pride/pastry pride, but that would obviously give you a lighter texture than regular pudding or custard. But, you might be able to play with that a little bit.

Hi TrixieTreats: You are so blessed to live in San Diego! I love it there, and have visited/vacationed there about 7 times. Anyhow, I went to my local grocery store today and bought a sleeve of the cream cheese like they use in danish pastries. Have you used these? She said once it's opened it should be refridgerated, but they are not stored that way, so I'm confused. If you use them, please let me know, thanks. Enjoy sunny San Diego for me! icon_biggrin.gif

goodiegoddess Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 10

any type of SMBC can stay out for a few days with no issues. It also holds lots of flavour. I used chocolate mocha all the time as fillings in my cakes and people love it!

TrixieTreats Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 10

I do love it here. I can't imagine living anywhere else. Sometimes I wish we had more than one season...if you know what I mean. I love the fall and winter, but maybe that is because we don't have much of it here.

Mmmmm....not sure if it is the same thing. The sleeves I get are from my local cake supply. They are made by Henry&Henry and are found online as well. Those are good at room temp for a couple days easily and stay fresh in the fridge for weeks.

Yours sounds delicious though.

elainem51 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 10

Do you have the Twinkie Recipe... I am looking for a good filling too.... could not find on website. Thanks

CakesbyCarla Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 10

Be sure to beat it really well so it's nice and fluffy...

Cats Twinkie Filling

Ingredients

5 T. all purpose flour
1 C. milk
1/2 C. shortening
1/2 C. butter
1 C. sugar
1/2 t. salt (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla

Instructions

In a small saucepan, mix the flour & the milk. Heat over medium heat till thick, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the shortening, butter, sugar, salt and the vanilla.

Add the cooled flour & milk mixture; continue beating until fluffy.

neecerator Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 10

Hi CakesbyCarla:
Love the Slyvia Weinstein glasses! I totally get it!
Anyhow, thanks for the recipe, however I noticed it has milk it in, so therefore do you not have to fridge it? Or does the sugar "stabilize" it? I need a chemistry lesson, I think. icon_sad.gif

CakesbyCarla Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 10

Here's the link to the original recipe...

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7270/Cats-Twinkie-Filling

I noticed at the end of it it says that it can be held in the fridge for a certain length of time before using it, but the way it reads it seems to only indicate soon you can make it before you're ready to use it.

I looked up other versions of the recipe (they are all basically the same) online and none of them indicate that once it's on the cake refrigeration is needed. Only one said that it would be good "on a cake or on the counter for 2 days".

I believe it is the heating that does the trick. It's basically boiled, because you're going to cook it to the point of boiling so that it thickens enough. Basically the same reason why ganache is okay at room temp - you're essentially boiling the cream and then adding sugar to stabilize.

That's about all I know. I did try this and it's wonderful and held up just fine in the cake w/out the fridge. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%