Does Anyone Know How This Was Done? Any Advice?

Decorating By suesweet Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 4:30pm by lanana

suesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suesweet Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 6

Hello. I know some people do open lids by propping them up but I'm not sure how to do this. I want the lid to be all the way open. How do you think this was done? Any advice or pointers would be very appreciated. Thanks!

http://picasaweb.google.com/riyadhsmom/Sweetooth#5527571685431295954[/url]

5 replies
AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 6

My guess would be a full board that goes all the way down the back of the cake. It's best to cut a little reservoir in your base board to accommodate the board and hold it in place. Then decorate the cake around it.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 6

I have done open lids but not COMPLETELY open. Judging by my expierience with my clam Shell cake (in my photos) this is what I would do:

You cannot use real cake for the lid, you would need strofoam. Measure the styrofoam and the back of the cake and cut a dowel or skewer that is long enough to go through both and into the cake board at the bottom. Make sure the skewers are not too close to the edge of the cake (ask me how I know). then you can add fondant to your lid to cover and decorate.

maybe someone with better judgement will come along and chime in. But this is my take on it. HTH

cakenewby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewby Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 6

I would bend some heavy duty wire into an L shape, and make the lid out of foam. Spear the lid with the wire and the other end into the cake under the area where the jewelry is... i would hide a piece of thin foam board over the wire but under the pink fondant, to prevent the wire from coming out of the top of the cake from the weight of the lid. Biggest problem will be making the lid as light as possible. This probably makes no sense to you but it make perfect sense in my head! haha!

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 6

The reason why I suggested skewers or dowels to stake your lid is because we all know we shouldn't use wire in cakes. If the lid sits on the cake as is shown in th picture you shouldn't have wire going through the cake.

lanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanana Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 6

i will use a really light lid, let's say a foam core board, the less thick which i believe is like 3/4 inch thick or less. I will cover using GP, roll it really thin and cover. before it gets dry, put as much toothpicks as you can on the board. when the cake is done and covered and ready to be set up, put some white chocolate to the lid and also put some chocolate on the toothpicks and finally attach it to the cake. let it dry. I have found white chocolate is the best glue ever. I use Wilton's candies. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%