No Cake Heat Coil Or Rose Nail

Baking By jimmynCR Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 1:45pm by DianeLM

jimmynCR Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 10

Can someone tell me another way to bake a 14 inch cake without a heat coil or rose nails. Ive looked all over the stores in Costa Rica and cant find either one. I thought about using 2x4 carpenter nails, but dont know how sanatary this would be since their not stainless steel.

9 replies
suepers Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 10

Do you have bake even strips? That would help. If not, my only suggestion is to lower the oven temp. You will need to bake a little longer. HTH icon_smile.gif

Debi2 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 10

I posted this tip the other day that may help you:

" I was getting ready to bake 2 12" cakes and I used my flower nail in the center of one (to help bake evenly) and realized I didn't have anything for the second. So, I put on my thinking cap and then suddenly the light came on....I could use the removable core/base from my 6" angel food pan! It worked like a charm.

Hope this helps someone!

Deb"

jillyscakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 10

Also roasting tin with water below cake will help keep it moist. Wrap cake pan with brown paper

TrixieTreats Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 10

I have used metal chopsticks that I rigged together (3 or 4) with a foil snake holding them in place and inserted it in the batter. You might need to move your oven rack down a notch to fit it in there. It works great. You could also use metal skewers the same way.

newcakester Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 10

You might do an internet search about using aluminum foil as a heating core. I know I have read something about this being possible. The lady had made "tents" out of aluminum foil and placed them in the pan just like you would a heating core or flower nail. HTH

tmelrose Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:39am
post #7 of 10

Bake even strips is what I use for my 14" pans. If you can't find those in your area I've read where people make their own from wet towels.

sophie691 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 10

I know that years ago .. I used a nail through my potatoes. It cut the baking time. Just a thought.

cakeythings1961 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 10

Bakeries don't mess with heating cores or flower nails. They bake at a lower temp for a longer period of time. 325 degrees. Try it!

DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 10

Empty a small can (tomato paste, for example). Remove the top and bottom. Insert in cake! Oh.. wash first. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%