Help With Gum Paste/fondant Figure Modeling!!!

Decorating By ButRCream Updated 5 Jan 2015 , 11:19pm by Emme07

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:32am
post #61 of 154

thats great, thank you! i've been thinking about this one...is it quite easy to clean the barrel? x

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:43am
post #62 of 154

Very easy...I unscrew the top & bottom parts, separate the entire plunger from the barrel, then stick a wet, soapy paper towel in one end and pull it half-way out the other, then twist it around and around, then pull it all the way out, and rinse.

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 5 May 2011 , 10:37am
post #63 of 154

thank you for the advice...might be time to sling out the one I'm using and upgrade! xx

LeahMarieT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeahMarieT Posted 5 May 2011 , 5:11pm
post #64 of 154

OMG!! Your work is absolutely amazing FlourPots...I would love to be added to your list of advice! I can't stop looking at your detail. Beautiful! Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

FlourPots Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:10pm
post #65 of 154

Thanks, and sure!

cdbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdbaker Posted 10 May 2011 , 6:57pm
post #66 of 154

FlourPots...I also love your work. I would like any information you could give me. I would like to know how much tylose you ad to what amount of MMF. Thank you

FlourPots Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:30pm
post #67 of 154

Ok, but that's the one thing I can't answer about my modeling.
I don't have an exact amount.

Darker colored fondant will require more than lighter, I can tell you that.

sugarrushcakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarrushcakes2 Posted 10 May 2011 , 8:03pm
post #68 of 154

Please add me to your list too. Your work is amazing!! I have to make a replica of Neyland Stadium in July and would really like to brush up on my modeling skills. My email is [email protected]. Also, is this better than using modeling chocolate?

FlourPots Posted 10 May 2011 , 8:15pm
post #69 of 154

I've made modeling chocolate before and found it greasy, BUT, that was one recipe, using one brand of chocolate...there's many other recipes that seem to work just fine for people.

I certainly wouldn't rule out trying it again.

My advice is to experiment and see what works for you!

sandy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy99 Posted 10 May 2011 , 8:24pm
post #70 of 154

please can i have the instructions please icon_biggrin.gif
thank you. [email protected]
i love the bag cake.its like a real bag icon_eek.gif

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 20 May 2011 , 1:22am
post #71 of 154

I am about to make my first figure and I am very nervous about it. You guys make it seem so easy. Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated. Could you please pm me those instructions as well. Thank you very much in advance.

mommytofive2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommytofive2010 Posted 20 May 2011 , 2:06am
post #72 of 154

FlourPots- I am getting ready to make my first ones too and would love it if you could pm me as well. I need all the help I can get- I'm really nervous!

LadyPol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyPol Posted 20 May 2011 , 2:36pm
post #73 of 154

FlourPots ... I just discovered this thread and if you're not tired of PMing people your wonderful info, I would love to have it as well! I have to make my first fondant/gumpaste figure soon and I am clueless! LOL You do such wonderful work and it is such a blessing that you are willing to share!

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:10pm
post #74 of 154

FlourPots ... I just discovered this thread and if you would not mind, I would love some tips too! I have to make a lobster soon and don't know where to start. my email is [email protected] . Thanks so much!!!!

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:49pm
post #75 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by crp7

What perfect timing! I just started my first figure using Aine2's tutorial today. Not bad but not good so far either. I have been using gumpaste which is new for me. It seems sticky one minute and dry and cracked the next. I want to try the fondant/tylose mix.

Anyway, when I got on CC tonight here was this post. Flourpots, would you mind sending any helpful tips you have? Your work is beautiful.

TIA

Cindy

I just used her tuturial to make a dog for a cake that I haven't posted yet. She's awesome. I was able to watch it one time and recreate it without having to look back it it. icon_smile.gif Her instructions made it so easy.

Christy

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:09pm
post #76 of 154

me too please flourpots icon_smile.gif

be careful everyone. I think my thread my about the spread sheet that I made got locked because people were posting their emails in the posts.

Thank you Flourpots. icon_smile.gif

SonyaLynn23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SonyaLynn23 Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:00pm
post #77 of 154

Just joined this site and I think I'm addicted already! I would love to receive your tips as well, Flourpots. I'm new to cake decorating and haven't tried making figures yet....I'm building up the courage! icon_smile.gif Thanks

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:17pm
post #78 of 154

I agree. To get the gumpaste to meld together and stop forming cracks, microwave your lump of gumpaste for just 8 to 10 SECONDS, then with shortening on your hands, knead it warm from the microwave and you won't have a problem. There's also a homemade gumpaste out there that came with my Cake Silhouette program from Linda McClure that's different from any other gumpastes I've touched - more tylose powder and gelatin in it - it's more "rubbery" and won't crack. Another good one is Platinum Paste from England but it's wicked expensive. Linda's recipe mimics Platinum Paste. Hope this helps.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 20 May 2011 , 6:54pm
post #79 of 154

FlourPots, please send me your tips. I love your pregnant figures. I have so much trouble with the mouth and of course the eyes.

FlourPots Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:01pm
post #80 of 154

Ok...just sent them all icon_smile.gif

addietx...I have a specific tip that might help with the eye area.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:33pm
post #81 of 154

FlourPots, received your tips. Yes, Yes, the tip about the eyes is brilliant. I love the eyes on your figures. Thank you so much for being willing to help.
Addie

FlourPots Posted 20 May 2011 , 7:40pm
post #82 of 154

Anytime!

osikodede Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osikodede Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #83 of 154

FlourPots, could I also have your tips, pretty pls? Thanks and Bless you for sharing. xxxx

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:13pm
post #84 of 154

Thank you sooo Much FlourPots!! got it!

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 20 May 2011 , 10:05pm
post #85 of 154

If it's not too much trouble could you PM me your tips also? Your work is really lovely!!! I am just a hobby baker but would appreciate any insight you can offer.
Thank you for all the sharing you are doing.

fitna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fitna Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:20am
post #86 of 154

hi flourpots!

your work is absolutely beautiful! i have to make two figurines for a cake next month. any advice that you can send me will be extremely helpful. your people look excellent!

thank you.

FlourPots Posted 21 May 2011 , 8:02am
post #87 of 154

Sent & you're very welcome!

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 21 May 2011 , 8:17am
post #88 of 154

Sorry to carry on the general theme of the post of pm's lol but FlourPots icon_surprised.gif your work really is amazing! It looks so perfect! I hope one day I can be as good as that at modelling. To save you the job, if anyone else who has received the tips it'd be fab if you could forward them to me... I hate to be a bother icon_redface.gif I haven't done much modelling buy have recently started to gain an interest, I made some gumpaste baby clothes from a recipe I got on here but I also found it went from sticky to dry too fast. I might try another recipe or Iv got some gum trag powder to try in the fondant so I hope that might he a bit better for me.

I guess the basic idea is to have lots of shortening on hand to keep it moist!

FlourPots Posted 21 May 2011 , 8:21am
post #89 of 154

I'll send it...no problem icon_smile.gif

No extra shortening needed, there's plenty in the recipe...you must have a microwave though, LOL!

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 21 May 2011 , 9:18am
post #90 of 154

Lol I definitely do have a microwave! I'd be lost without it. Thank you so much. I actually didn't realise this post was 6 pages long when I first read it so I didn't realise you'd had THAT many requests! But thank you anyway in advance. It's really kind of you to share your expertise with some of us mere common folk lol. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%