Star Tipping...a Lil Help Please!!

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 5:36pm by michel30014

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, so I have a few clients here and there ask me not to use fondant. So, I have always star tipped the whole cake and it looks awesome. Well the last 2 cakes I star tipped dried so fast like normal but started to fall off the sides. By the next day there were patches off and some loose.

I'm in need of help because I have this huge 3d circus cake coming up and she doesn't want fondant. I am nervous to star tip it if I'm gonna have the same problem.

Any tips on what I can do?? I also have another 3d mountain dew can cake coming up next Sunday that will also need star tipping.

HELP!!!!

4 replies
adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 5

Bakerzjoy

Do you put a scratch coat on before you star-tip? and is your ising 'thin' enough.
I would put on a thin coat of icing first and then star tip

Adamsgama

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 5

star tip the entire cake? INTERESTING!!

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaah

star tip the entire cake? INTERESTING!!

Yeah, that sounds interesting.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 5

Definitely use a base coat and then star tip. Though, I didn't star tip the entire cake in this cake I made. I came close. Just make sure you're icing consistency is just right. Not to thick that you can't push it thru (too dry and it will flake off) but not too thin (it won't make clean straight stars)either.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1710709.html

I also allow the cake to air-dry in my kitchen. Just make sure it's not humid. It should crust over/set pretty good. I've never had to put a cake in the fridge so maybe that could be why I've never had any problems with pieces falling off. Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%