Where Is It Going To Stop?!?

Decorating By iamcakin Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 8:32pm by peg818

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 20

Holey smokes...the price of butter! icon_eek.gif I am shell-shocked, which would make more sense if it were the price of eggs .

I just can't believe how much food costs have risen this year - especially the past few months. I've finally given in and raised my prices. I'm just wondering, now how many clients will give up on custom cakes for the big box/grocery store ones...*sigh*.

19 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 20

Huh. I haven't bought more than 5 pounds of butter in the last five years, I'll bet . . .

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 20

Yes! My local grocery store has 4 sticks, store brand, butter for $4. I went to Walmart and they had it for $2.89, 2 weeks ago... hope it hasn't gone up since.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 20

Leah, no butter?! I can't imagine... I have butter in my cakes, butter in my buttercream...

But yeah, Sam's went from $6.67 to $10.77 for 4 pounds of butter in the last couple of months. It's insane.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 20

I noticed that yesterday at sams club and costco it sucks. Let's hope the price goes down. I have too many fall and Christmas treats with butter!

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 20

I agree , it has gone up a lot. I was lucky to find some on sale a Smart and Final for $2.59 a lb but everywhere else I've looked it $3.50 - $4.00 a lb . . . yikes. So with the cost of eggs and butter going up soon it will be worth it's weight in gold icon_smile.gif

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 20

You don't use butter in anything Leahs?

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 20

I don't use butter either, unless I'm making cookies (which luckily isn't often). I wasn't even aware that the price had gone up! I do, however, blow through eggs like nobody's business. Hopefully those don't go up!

mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 20

I feel everyone's pain. I am praying for lower prices. I make about 350 lbs of English Toffee each winter and the price of butter, sugar, nuts, and chocolate have all gone up significantly! I am really nervous about my costs this year... really nervous!

suepers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suepers Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 20

It's not just butter that's going up. C&H powdered sugar costs $.20 more this week than last week at my local grocery store. icon_sad.gif

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #11 of 20

I noticed this at my supermaket last week. The price has gone up by 50% in one week!!! Guess its a world wide increase.
a 250gram block was £1 now its £1.50!!

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 20

I just paid $2.69 for a pound of butter and was not particularly happy about it since two weeks ago I paid $2.19. If you aren't putting butter in your cakes, what are you using? Shortening? Does it change flavor, texture, crumb, etc?

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:51pm
post #13 of 20

Aldi's has it for $1.79 a pound. i stock up and freeze them... I also get their powdered sugar and other baking supplies for way under what others charge...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:53pm
post #14 of 20

I buy Alpine for icing and regular veg shortening for cakes. ALL my recipes are formulated for shortening. And for the few cookie recipes I use, i sub in at least half of the called-for butter with shortening. Since veg shortening has a higher melting point, the cookies stay chewier and rise/don't go flat and crispy. I choose my ingredients based on what I want them to do in the recipe. Butter isn't good for baking IMO, but tastes lovely on toast.

LetsDoCake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetsDoCake1 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:09pm
post #15 of 20

We use real dairy butter (sometimes some oil) in all our cake recipes, and our Italian meringue frosting uses 6 sticks just in one batch! Around here people expect real butter and top quality/fresh ingredients in all their cakes and frostings. Especially for the price they pay for them. We especially dislike the taste of frosting made with shortning like you get from chain grocery store bakeries. Tastes like sweetened grease! Nothing can replace the taste of real ingredients in baking. Our opinion anyway!

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 20

I have stopped using butter in my buttercream and use half trex half cream cheese and IMO its much nicer and not so sickly.

I used to buy my butter from Sainsburys as its the cheapest place at 98 pence for 250g

LetsDoCake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetsDoCake1 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:25pm
post #17 of 20

Oops...that's shortening not shortning!

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:54pm
post #18 of 20

I don't use butter in my BC either, (icon_surprised.gif gasp!), but use it in lots of other things. I'm really complaining about the rise in food costs in general . I'm a caterer as well as baker...I could hardly believe how much I had to spend on chicken breasts - ridiculous!! icon_mad.gif

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:16pm
post #19 of 20

I use so much butter and veg. shortening and plastic wrap that I'm starting to get weird looks from the checkers at the grocery store. But I agree, the cost of butter is atrocious! I wish I didn't love it as much as I do!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:32pm
post #20 of 20

Groceries in general have gone up alot recently. I know my grocery bill is starting to surpass my mortgage payment especially if they keep rising at the rate they have been.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%