Do My Skills Justify My Price? (Poll-Pls Check My Gallery)

Business By karateka Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 8:30pm by Marianna46

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:08am
post #91 of 104

It may be your baking or it may be your portfolio. You have lots of awesome birthday cakes and very few wedding cakes. I wouldn't say your wedding cakes were old fashioned, but they do have a home baker look to it. Do some more dummy cakes and take pictures of them. If you are going to do piping on them, then you will need to perfect that.
Good luck

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:10am
post #92 of 104

I so agree with mkbutterfly if you do not sell your cakes for what they are worth than your clientel will not be what you want. I myself want to make the best cake I can possibly make but I won't work for peanuts.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:11am
post #93 of 104

I agree with you that you should know your market SCP1127. My sticking to your guns comment wasn't about that though. It was meant more to say stick to your guns about your baking/product and not go with the advice to switch to a mix.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:15am
post #94 of 104

costumeczar, we were posting at the same time. Your business advice is one that should be heeded by those with less experience. I am relatively new to the baking industry, but I have vast experience in creating and running my own businesses over the years. The key to successful business runs across all industry lines. You and a few others have been a great help to me in the last year, shortening my learning curve by sharing your experience, and I thank you all for that.

If the OP's pricing is in line with her talent, then marketing or taste is where she needs to concentrate. Another place to look is cost of goods sold... reducing overhead to produce higher profit.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:23am
post #95 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

costumeczar, we were posting at the same time. Your business advice is one that should be heeded by those with less experience. I am relatively new to the baking industry, but I have vast experience in creating and running my own businesses over the years. The key to successful business runs across all industry lines. You and a few others have been a great help to me in the last year, shortening my learning curve by sharing your experience, and I thank you all for that.

Business experience is more important than people think...You can always learn skills or hire someone to do things that you don't know how to do, but you have to have the knowledge to know what you don't know! KNow what I mean? icon_wink.gif

scp1127 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:24am
post #96 of 104

Sorry about that, mkolmar... your catchy wording probably stuck in my head. I was referring to the advice about sticking to the price. If the price isn't right to begin with, sticking to it doesn't help. As for sticking to her guns about her product, I agree. But she has to make sure the recipes are not reaching too narrow a taste preference.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:30am
post #97 of 104

I have to say keep your chin up, karateka, you're pretty brave to post this and let us all in on the free-for-all!

scp1127 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:38am
post #98 of 104

karateka, if you heed the business advice you have gotten here, you WILL be more successful. We all wish you well. Sometimes the topic becomes a debate, but out of that comes a wealth of information backed by the knowledge of those willing to share.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:55am
post #99 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Sorry about that, mkolmar... your catchy wording probably stuck in my head. I was referring to the advice about sticking to the price. If the price isn't right to begin with, sticking to it doesn't help. As for sticking to her guns about her product, I agree. But she has to make sure the recipes are not reaching too narrow a taste preference.

No problem. icon_smile.gif
Karateka to echo costumeczar you've been great about all of this.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:58am
post #100 of 104

Good luck - whatever path you choose to try!

Chikadelux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chikadelux Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:03pm
post #101 of 104

I am just starting my cake decorating business, and I just don't know how to price. I have made a few for family and friends, but i'm just nor sure. Would anyone please look at my cakes andlet me know what you would be willing to pay? Ihad a lady that needed a gag cake...it was the number 65 with 2 naked women coming out of it. I told her it would cost $65, which I didn't think was a lot at all. I probably would have made close to nothing if that. What do you think? I have no idea how to price.
Thanks!!

scp1127 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:19pm
post #102 of 104

Chicadelux, start at the beginning, read this post, then ask what you don't understand.

Chikadelux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chikadelux Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:13pm
post #103 of 104

I did read all posts and I'm still not sure wat to price them. I feel that I am asking for too much. I have one order for a baby shower cake for a friend, but we haven't discussed the details yet. Just not sure.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:30pm
post #104 of 104

Also, Chikadelux, pricing depends on the number of servings you get from a cake (there are charts that will tell you this at several sites on the internet - try Wilton, for one), so the $65 figure depends on how large the cake was as to whether it was too much or too little. You should probably start out by checking out what other bakers in your area charge per serving and what other factors come into play (for example, do they charge extra for certain flavors or fillings or for certain kinds of decoration?). then look seriously at the level of your decorating skills compared to the competition (are you better than they are, about the same or do your skills still need a little work?) and THEN think about pricing. I definitely want to wish you the best in this effort you're making!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%