Wedding Cake Heeelllpppp!!!

Decorating By Shepsit Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 1:38am by G_Cakes

Shepsit Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all,

One of my friend is going to get marry on 29th of October.
She wants 2 layers of a cake for 20 people, and 100 of mini cakes. She sent me the following picture to give the idea.

I have toooo many questions now:

1- Do you thing making cupcakes will take less time then making mini cakes? (Do not forget that there will be no one to help me)

2- I know I'll need a hard (I mean dense cake) for the mini cakes but I do not have any recipe for a cake like that. All recipes I have are moisty. So can you please share a chocolate cake recipe with me that will easy to cut into mini pieces and cover with fondant?

3- When do I have to start to bake the cake, cover with fondant and put the flowers on them?

I'm sure I'll remember mooore questions later but I'll be appreciated if you can help me with these ones for now.

Thank you.

4 replies
Shepsit Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 5

Unfortunately I can't attach the picture and I don't know why icon_sad.gif

cheatize Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:15am
post #3 of 5

I think cupcakes would take a lot less time than mini-cakes.

Sorry, I don't have a specific dense chocolate cake recipe, but I've read the Durable cake recipe is good.

You can bake ahead and freeze to help with your timeline.

Hopefully, someone will come along and give you more thorough answers.

artscallion Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:38am
post #4 of 5

Mini cakes will kill you. Then they'll stand over you laughing while they poke you with the floral wire you tried to use to put mini flowers on them.

Seriously, mini cakes are a huge pain and ten times more work than you imagine they will be. They will kill you.

G_Cakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:38am
post #5 of 5

I just fnished doing a mini cake and I have to tell you I am glad I did the trial run first.

What I found out doing the trial run is that if cake is to moist you can pop it in the freezer for a few minutes to firm it up.

Also if you covering them in fondant with a buttercream base, use a piping bag with a flat basket weave tip as close to the size of the cake edge as possible. This will save you time when smoothing.

Also use a smaller tip to do the top of thebase cake as close to in size to save smoothing again.

I tried putting it on with a spreader and it was to messy.

What I found out from making mini cakes it they take alot longer to do than to work on a regualr sized cake.

With the short time frame you have and working alone... I would recommend doing cupcakes instead...

Hope this helps

Miss lizzy

Quote by @%username% on %date%