How Do I Manage To Get Sea Effect On Fondant ?

Decorating By lottieb Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 11:32am by yums

lottieb  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lottieb Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 6

I will attempt a kite surfing theme for my boyfriend's 30th birthday cake. I would like any suggestions on how I can create a sea effect. My idea was to use a marble effect of 3 shades of blue. Also I have never done any gumpast figures and wanted to try to do half a figure standing out of the water and a kite..any ideas or suggestions would really help. Is it possible also to indcate how much in advance can I prepare the figures and the kite ? Will coloured gumpaste last ?Thanks

5 replies
 wendalls  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalls Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:56am
post #2 of 6

I reckon the marble idea sounds good.

lottieb  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lottieb Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:58am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Wendalls. Do you have any idea how to make the skin colour for figurines in gum paste?

wendalls  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalls Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 9:56am
post #4 of 6

I managed to make something similar to skin colour by accident once! White gumpaste coloured yellow - then add a wee bit of chocolate fondant (or maybe colour some of the gum paste brown then add this slowly to your yellow) - just a pinch.

Jillfcs  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jillfcs Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:04am
post #5 of 6

Marbling is a great way to achieve the water look maybe do a combination of blue, turquoise and white. Test it out in advance to achieve the look you are going for.

You can make your figure(s) way-way-way in advance they last for what seems like forever. One thing about your figures; I would definitely use gum paste for the kite; however, try using a combination of gum paste/fondant (50/50 mix) or fondant mixed with tylose powder for the person. I think you will be happier with the ease of use and the lack of cracking.

AmeriColor has a color called Fleshtone use that as the base color and then add pink or brown to achieve the skin tone you are going for.

yums  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:32am
post #6 of 6

I think using RI embroidery method could produce some cool and 3d waves. And I use the americolor flesh tone and had to add brown because my person looked like a ghost!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%