How Do I Manage To Get Sea Effect On Fondant ?

Decorating By lottieb Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 11:32am by yums

lottieb Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 6

I will attempt a kite surfing theme for my boyfriend's 30th birthday cake. I would like any suggestions on how I can create a sea effect. My idea was to use a marble effect of 3 shades of blue. Also I have never done any gumpast figures and wanted to try to do half a figure standing out of the water and a kite..any ideas or suggestions would really help. Is it possible also to indcate how much in advance can I prepare the figures and the kite ? Will coloured gumpaste last ?Thanks

5 replies
wendalls Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:56am
post #2 of 6

I reckon the marble idea sounds good.

lottieb Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:58am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Wendalls. Do you have any idea how to make the skin colour for figurines in gum paste?

wendalls Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 9:56am
post #4 of 6

I managed to make something similar to skin colour by accident once! White gumpaste coloured yellow - then add a wee bit of chocolate fondant (or maybe colour some of the gum paste brown then add this slowly to your yellow) - just a pinch.

Jillfcs Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:04am
post #5 of 6

Marbling is a great way to achieve the water look maybe do a combination of blue, turquoise and white. Test it out in advance to achieve the look you are going for.

You can make your figure(s) way-way-way in advance they last for what seems like forever. One thing about your figures; I would definitely use gum paste for the kite; however, try using a combination of gum paste/fondant (50/50 mix) or fondant mixed with tylose powder for the person. I think you will be happier with the ease of use and the lack of cracking.

AmeriColor has a color called Fleshtone use that as the base color and then add pink or brown to achieve the skin tone you are going for.

yums Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:32am
post #6 of 6

I think using RI embroidery method could produce some cool and 3d waves. And I use the americolor flesh tone and had to add brown because my person looked like a ghost!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%