Square Footage Needed For A New Bakery

Business By blissfulbaker Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 12:50pm by blissfulbaker

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 3

I am in need of some advice. I have just started my business plan and looking at retail space. About how much square footage do I need for a bakery. I will be making cakes, cookies, cupcakes, muffins. No breads or sweet rolls. I would also like to have enough space for a classroom/party room for birthday parties and decorating classes. Any suggestions?

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 3

do you know what type of equipment you're going to need? And what will be required from the HD and Fire Dept? Since you'll have people in the store, and having classes i would definitely contact both and see what requirements are for having them there. (such as so much sq footage per person and any sink/bathroom requirements)

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 3

I live in an area west of Chicago. Requirements change from village to village, I have made phone calls to a couple of planning depts and fire marshalls of a couple of the villages. I am still waiting to hear back. I was thinking around 2500 square feet would be needed but I really have no idea. I know I have to take in account space for bathrooms, dishroom, baking area, decorating area, front end, office, storage space, walk in fridge, walk in freezer, ect... One village in my area requires a full sprinkler system put into a space if people are allowed to eat in the space. That includes a couple cafe tables and chairs.

One of my main problems is that people don't return phone calls, that includes commercial restate agents.

I was hoping CC readers who own bakeries would tell me what size their spaces are and if it is working for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%