Here's The Disaster!

Lounge By Bskinne Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 2:45am by KoryAK

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:40am
post #1 of 14

Okay, ladies (and gents)....thanks for all the laughs I got yesterday.

So I thought I would post a link to the offending cake moments prior to it ending on the floor...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1765277&l=139d9a8c9b&id=1356955319
and for those of y'all that didn't see the post, in a nutshell this was my first TT attempt for a friend (a mutual friend had asked me to do it), and I suffered prego brain by doing things like not spraying a pan, etc, and after 2 days of work my friend called me and said nevermind, and during that convo it went splat on the floor. And I didn't like the design. in the pic, it's not finished, there obviously is no bordes, and there was going to be a swirly design on the bottom, and dots all around the top with another pattern on top (yes, I know it sounds busy but I was given a very busy dress as an inspiration). But the major prob was the red velvet top tier couldn't support itself, it was sagging and falling apart, as you can see. The bottom was chocolate and much more dense, so it held up fine....

13 replies
Bskinne Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:57am
post #2 of 14

I'm not sure if that link will work, so I may have to come back later and try when I get to the computer, I'm on my phone....

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 14

Oh my! I bet it looked really good before things started going south. Love the green marbling on the bottom tier. TT cakes scare me. It is one of the things I've yet to do and after hearing all the horror stories, I've decided to admire them from afar...very afar. I give you lots of credit for giving it a go. thumbs_up.gif

Bskinne Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 14

Lol, thank you...it caused me a lot of grief and heartache, and I really thought it was going to turn out better before the top tier gave me so many problems. I can say that TT is not so bad, my main problem was the type of cake for the top tier. The cake was so moist and tender it was falling apart before I ever touched it with fondant, and you can see the tier buckling under the weight...icon_sad.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

Totally offended that everything referring to my original post has been removed from this posting, so I hope those who read this can read my mind to remember our original conversation, since apparently we are not all adults here.

FYI Bskinne, we are NOT all adults here as the minimum age requirement to become a CC member is 13 years old. icon_smile.gif

If you wish to use or insinuate adult language or concepts than the Lounge would be the appropriate forum for your purposes. thumbs_up.gif

HTH

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 14

The best part is seeing the Clorox wipes in the background!!! icon_biggrin.gif
I always keep them by my side when caking!

Bskinne Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 14

This pic wasn't taken, obviously, with public viewing in mind, just snapped to show DH why I was freaking out....but in the end, turned out to be the last pic of it together....I have some others of it after it went splat, but can't make myself look at them!! Took more than a few clorox wipes to clean it up, lol.

lanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanana Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 14

When i do TT cakes, I only use like- pound- cake cakes, and chocolate ganache to cover instead of butter cream and never ever use red velvet cake or any filling other than butter cream. After is all stacked, I use a wooden dowel all through the cakes to give them some support and stability. I have heard Sharon Zambito TT cakes video is really good. I hope you keep trying and don't give up.

Bskinne Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanana

When i do TT cakes, I only use like- pound- cake cakes, and chocolate ganache to cover.

that will be the major advice I stress to anyone considering a TT. Otherwise, I don't think it's supercomplicated with the great tutorials out there and the help on here! icon_smile.gif I probably just jinxed my next attempt right there! icon_wink.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:53am
post #10 of 14

I saw your original title and then the mod edited title. I chuckled and felt your pain at the same time.

Yep, that's pretty much what my first one looked like. My second one had perfect structure but the design was u.g.l.y.

You have now been thoroughly initiated into the Topsy Turvy Oopsie! club. Welcome! Try to go back in a couple of weeks and try it again, using what you've learned from this one. icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:33am
post #11 of 14
Quote:

Okay, ladies (and gents)....thanks for all the laughs I got yesterday.

So I thought I would post a link to the offending cake moments prior to it ending on the floor...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1765277&l=139d9a8c9b&id=1356955319
and for those of y'all that didn't see the post, in a nutshell this was my first TT attempt for a friend (a mutual friend had asked me to do it), and I suffered prego brain by doing things like not spraying a pan, etc, and after 2 days of work my friend called me and said nevermind, and during that convo it went splat on the floor. And I didn't like the design. in the pic, it's not finished, there obviously is no bordes, and there was going to be a swirly design on the bottom, and dots all around the top with another pattern on top (yes, I know it sounds busy but I was given a very busy dress as an inspiration). But the major prob was the red velvet top tier couldn't support itself, it was sagging and falling apart, as you can see. The bottom was chocolate and much more dense, so it held up fine....

Oh dear! LOL (please forgive me for laughing...I know it wouldn't have been at all funny for you at the time)

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:39am
post #12 of 14
Quote:

Totally offended that everything referring to my original post has been removed from this posting, so I hope those who read this can read my mind to remember our original conversation, since apparently we are not all adults here.

*Rolling eyes* Don't you sometimes wish people would lighten up? I've never come across a forum quite like this for that sort of thing!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:49am
post #13 of 14

I really think a lot of TT end up that way the first time. I didn't take a picture of my first disaster, but it looked very much the same way! I use the recipe for durable 3d cake for carving now, and I haven't had any problems since. (knock on wood). (I did get a chuckle out of your last topic!)

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:45am
post #14 of 14

F that cake right? F for fudge right? Pantytwisters.....

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%