Alternative Flavors Of Cut-Out Cookies

Baking By dawncr Updated 13 Oct 2014 , 6:20am by Lovelyladylibra

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:58am
post #1 of 22

I've been trying for the past few years to expand my cutout cookies from the traditional sugar type.

I've done:

--Chocolate
--Peanut butter
--Chocolate chip (minis)
--Oatmeal spice

Of those, I suppose I liked the oatmeal spice best, but the vanilla-almond flavored icing didn't work on them. Plus, the oats made for rough edges because the cookie cutter couldn't slice through them.

I still prefer NFSC with vanilla and a little almond flavoring. That's saying something because I'm a chocoholic,and will choose chocolate over vanilla whenever given a choice.

Anyone have any additional suggestions or favorite recipes? I don't have a picky palate, but I don't especially like most spiced cookies (gingerbread, pfeffernusse, pepparkakor, springerle).

21 replies
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:07am
post #2 of 22

what about coconut or raspberry? I haven't tried raspberry yet, its on my too do's list next.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:34am
post #3 of 22

Citrus - just add rind to ur normal recipe.
xx

gen2026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gen2026 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 22

How did the choc chip work out? Sounds a lot better than sugar cookies!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 22

I've made chocolate, pumpkin spice, lemon, cherry, and mocha as cut-out cookies and liked them all...

I also substitute the vanilla for a variety of other flavorings in the regular NFSC recipe.

gen2026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gen2026 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 22

Bonnie would you be willing to share how you made those? I would love the chocolate, mocha and maybe a couple of the others....

Thanks!
Gen

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 22

Ditto the recipe request if you have them handy!

I have done:
citrus (both orange and lemon)
black pepper / spiced
maple
apple
pumpkin
chocoalte-cinnamon
gingerbread

The recipes came from a variety of different places, and sometimes I'd add little extras (like finely minced orange zest to the orange cookies) to what the recipe called for. I love experimenting!

dawncr Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2026

How did the choc chip work out? Sounds a lot better than sugar cookies!

Gen, I was sure they'd be great, too, but I was disappointed. I didn't keep the recipe, but it probably was something like this one:

http://www.meals.com/Recipes/Mini-Chip-Cut-out-Cookies.aspx?recipeid=29664

To me, it tasted like pie crust with a few mini choc chips thrown in. I suppose I was thinking it would taste more like a 'traditional' choc chip cookie. There's got to be some tweaking that will make them better....

dawncr Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 22

I think I'll try eggnog cookies next. If you've made them, let me know your thoughts.

Here's one recipe, from a super website:

http://thebakingpan.com/Cookies/eggnog_cookies.html

bonniebakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 22

dawncr - eggnog... that sounds very interesting! Please let us know how they turn out!

I don't have the recipes right in front of me, but I can tell you they were easy substitutions. Here are a few things right off the top of my head. ...

Mocha -- I know I used the recipe for mocha cookies from the kitchengifts.com website.

Lemon - I added grated lemon zest to my regular vanilla recipe I use and lemon juice instead of the extract.

Cherry - I used maraschino cherry juice in place of the extract in my regular vanilla recipe.

Chocolate - there are few good ones in the recipe section here, but I still haven't found one that I LOVE.

Pumpkin spice - I added pumpkin pie spice to my regular vanilla recipe, and a few tablespoons of pumpkin puree instead of about 1/4 cup of the butter.

bonniebakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

Ditto the recipe request if you have them handy!

I have done:
citrus (both orange and lemon)
black pepper / spiced
maple
apple
pumpkin
chocoalte-cinnamon
gingerbread

The recipes came from a variety of different places, and sometimes I'd add little extras (like finely minced orange zest to the orange cookies) to what the recipe called for. I love experimenting!

hmm.... apple and maple sound so good! Would you mind sharing those recipes?

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:00am
post #12 of 22

Thanks, Bonnie. I will have to try the cherry ones!

The maple cookies are from Emeril:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/maple-cookies-recipe/index.html

The apple one was a vegan recipe made with applesauce, oil, nutmeg, and cinnamon. There was an apple cider-based glaze, too.

The eggnog ones sound great for Christmas!

I think I also saw a recipe for a butterscotch flavored roll-out cookie, also. Never tried that one, though.

bonniebakes Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:40pm
post #13 of 22

they sound yummy!

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:18am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

I think I'll try eggnog cookies next. If you've made them, let me know your thoughts.

Ooh, these sound really good! I love eggnog so I'm dying to try these when I see eggnog on my grocery store shelves.

I really like the white chocolate cutout recipe from Karen's Cookies.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:33am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

Hey, this gives me an idea for my pumpkin spice eggnog! Yay!
Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:28am
post #16 of 22

[quote="dawncr"]Plus, the oats made for rough edges because the cookie cutter couldn't slice through them.[/quote

I understand if you run the oats through your food processor and "chop" them up, you will get better results BUT it does change it.....

tylolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tylolz Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:22am
post #17 of 22

Cinammon? icon_smile.gif

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 12:09pm
post #18 of 22

I have trialing various recipes for a Christmas cookie contest at work. I am hooked on linzer cookies and discovered a recipe with toasted pecans!! Oh, my, yummy. I think a lot of linzer cookie recipes would make good cutout cookies.

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:31pm
post #19 of 22

I dont remember where I got this recipe but its great

Easy Cut-Out Oat Cookies

Ingredients (Serves 60)

1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

1 cup butter

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/4 cup oat flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

To make your own flour, place 1 2/3 cups quick or Old-Fashioned Quaker Oats, uncooked, in blender or food processor. Cover and blend 60 seconds. Makes 1 1/4 cup flour.

Directions
In a large bowl, mix together the confectioners' sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine all the flours and baking soda. Then stir dry-mix into the creamed mixture. Cover the dough, and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8 inch thickness (if the dough is too thick you will lose some of your shapes). Using cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake for 7 to 8 minutes and watch carefully to make sure the cookies don't over-brown. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks. Eat plain or frost with your favorite cookie frosting (these cookies only need a tiny amount of frosting).

noveen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noveen Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 5:37am
post #20 of 22

AFollowing

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 5:59am
post #21 of 22

I use a basic shortbread recipe most of the time 50gm caster sugar, 100gm butter, 150gm P Flour.

I add to it some lemon essence and some ground ginger (unfortunately I do it by feel/taste so can't tell you the right measurements) but believe it or not the baked biscuits taste really similar to fruit loops which is a bit of a walk down memory lane to when I was a kid.

I have also done it with lemon juice, lemon zest and ground ginger which gives them a totally different but just as lovely flavour, though I do add a little more flour to feel when adding lemon juice.

Adding a little orange essence to my choc chip biscuits (I have a recipe from a CWA recipe book that is lovely) is always a winner too - tastes kind of like Jaffa.

I also sometimes split my biscuit recipe in half at the sugar and butter stage and make one half a heavy vanilla flavour and one half a heavy chocolate flavour by replacing some of the flour with cocoa, roll them both out to roughly the same shape, layer them and roll into a log, refrigerate until firm then slice into rings and bake for a swirled flavour. If you don't make the flavours really obvious they do get lost on each other though.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 6:20am
post #22 of 22

all of these are my available flavors 

im just going to copy and paste from my website because its alot lol

they're all tried and true and of all of them cream cheese, red velvet, and red velvet cream cheese swirl are my favs

• Sugar  
  • Chocolate 
  • Spice 
  • Cinnamon 
  • Brown sugar 
  • Vanilla Bean 
  • Baileys Brown Sugar  
  • Ginger Bread 
  • Confetti
  • Cream Cheese
  • Coffee
  • snickerdoodle