Fondant And Ri?

Baking By cakesrock Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 6:30pm by nordi2008

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:42am
post #1 of 11

Fairly new to cookie decorating and have made fondant and RI cookies, but never mixed the two...I want to make some skeleton cookies. Would a mixture of fondant (base) and white RI lines for the skeleton on top, work?
Or am I better off to use the white RI lines , then flood with the other colors around it? If so, how long should I wait for it to dry before outlining and flooding with the main color? Hope that makes sense....
TIA!

10 replies
cakesrock Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 11

I seem to eventually be answering a lot of my own posts these days! Anyway, I tried the fondant and the RI and it worked well. I can't seem to post a photo, so if you are interested, the black cat and bat skeleton cookies are in my photos...

nordi2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nordi2008 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 11

hello cakerock Don't worry if no body answer your post some times happen icon_sad.gif ! but thank you for share your experience thumbs_up.gif and your cookies are awsome!! icon_lol.gif

cakesrock Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:25am
post #4 of 11

Thank you, Nordi2008! icon_biggrin.gif

EMonsalve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EMonsalve Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 11

Im new to cookie decorating and to this site...I was thinking of doing a MMF/RI combo; I'm baptizing my son this Dec and am going to do decorated cookies as a party favor. Anyways, your cookies look great, I hope mine come out just as good. If you have any tips or tricks I would really appreciate it icon_biggrin.gif

cakesrock Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMonsalve

Im new to cookie decorating and to this site...I was thinking of doing a MMF/RI combo; I'm baptizing my son this Dec and am going to do decorated cookies as a party favor. Anyways, your cookies look great, I hope mine come out just as good. If you have any tips or tricks I would really appreciate it icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks...welcome to CC! Watch out - it's very addictive! Tips: I have found that if you color your fondant (I use Rhonda's ultimate MMF) it gets a bit gooey and when you cut it with the cookie cutter to place, it will stretch. So, if adding a bit more PS doesn't work, try tylose or gumtex to help it hold it's shape for the transfer. And brush the cookie surface with corn syrup to help it stick. I also tried the NFSC recipe on here and they hold their shape well...With the RI, I just used the outlining thickness recipe and lemon for flavouring. And if you make a mistake, wipe it off with clear vanilla and let it dry! Good luck!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 5:22am
post #7 of 11

I am also new to cookies...I thought that tylose was only for figure modeling and therefore not for eating. So, since I am new in the use of MMF and I have notice that it does indeed stretches a lot, I am assuming now that I can use Tylose to make MMF a little stiffer and this will make it easier to decorate the cookie?
Thank you in advance for your answer!
CIAO

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 11

I use a 50/50 mix of Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and Michele Foster's fondant, both recipes here on cc. To help with the stretch, I usually make mine several days ahead so it has time to "mature" if you will.

I roll the fondant out on vinyl squares, cut with the appropriate cookie cutter and let them sit for a few minutes while I roll and cut more shapes. This lets the fondant relax a little after rolling and also drys it a bit. I use thinned corn syrup brushed on the cookie to attach the fondant. You can peel the shape off of the vinyl, just like you would a label.

I do all my cookies with fondant and this method has worked well for me. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/rhondas-ultimate-mmf

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3663/michele-fosters-delicious-fondant

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you linedancer icon_smile.gif another little question, can I do the same for covering a cake? Can I use 1/2 mmf + 1/2 Reg fondant to cover a cake?Thank you in advance. icon_smile.gif
I am sorry cakesrock for " bump" into your post icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif By the way I have seen your halloween cookie and they came out perfect! thumbs_up.gif
Ciao! icon_biggrin.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 11

I don't do many cakes, but I don't see why you couldn't use the 50/50 mix. The reason I like the mix is because I like the taste and mouth feel of MMF, but it is not quite as pliable as MFF. However, I am not crazy about the taste and mouth feel of MFF, so I mixed the two and am happy, good taste and mouth feel but lots of pliability, IMHO.

nordi2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nordi2008 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 11

hello for the cookie lovers this web is great everything about cookies, I learn a lot thumbs_up.gif www.karenscookies.net thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%