Nc Licensed Home Bakers...question About The Inspection...

Business By ptanyer Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 10:54pm by ptanyer

ptanyer Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:35am
post #1 of 17

I have applied for my NC Home Bakers license and they will be inspecting my kitchen in the next couple of weeks. What can I expect when they come? What will they be looking for? What are big no-no's?

Thanks in advance!
Pam

16 replies
11cupcakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:57am
post #2 of 17

You'll get a phone call from inspector, and they'll let you know what are they looking for. You will also be able to ask questions. They will check your cabinets with a fleshlight, they also want for business items( pans, rolling pins, food coloring, ingredients) to be stored separate from houshold items. You'll need to have a termometer in the refregirator. And your light bulbs need to be covered.

ptanyer Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:23am
post #3 of 17

A flashlight, really? Okay then. My cabinets are clean and organized, so that's okay. Got the thermometer in the freezer and refrigerator. Light bulbs covered. So far, so good icon_smile.gif

Anyone else have suggestions for me?

sari66 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 17

I had mine in May and it was easy she checked my supplies, storage, and thermometer and that was it. We spent about an hour just talking!

loriemoms Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:55am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

I had mine in May and it was easy she checked my supplies, storage, and thermometer and that was it. We spent about an hour just talking!

haha! Did you have Cheri? She is WONDERFUL!!

The home inspection is very easy...if you have a kitchenaid, make sure it is clean clean clean. They will put a flashlight up the part where the paddle goes and check for buttercream and mold. That is all they are looking for really is dirt, mold and any kind of bug problem. Also, make sure your water heater is set high enough.

When they call, they are very very helpful. Ask them exactly what they are looking for, they like that, as it shows you are serious about this. also, anything in the fridge, label it for the biz. They want to make sure you keep biz stuff separate from family stuff. Also have a roll of paper towels in the bathroom

But like everyone said, the key is clean. Scrub your kitchen, fridge and oven!!

Good luck!

Dreme Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:31am
post #6 of 17

I had Cheri!

Ditto on what lorriemoms said.

TartletteTreats Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:11am
post #7 of 17

Can you have pets that are restricted from the kitchen at all times?

ptanyer Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:28am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by resmiff2

Not in NC. If you have house pets, no home bakery license.

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. If anyone else has suggestions, please feel free to share icon_smile.gif

Donnabugg Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:28am
post #9 of 17

Yes Cheri was really nice! The whole process was 100 times easier than I expected! She was in and out in no time! No pets. I was told to have an oven thermometer also. Good luck.

TartletteTreats Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:33am
post #10 of 17

Thanks - I didn't figure it would be that easy icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by resmiff2

Nope, not even animals that stay in the yard all the time (like goats and such)

mandagail Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks for all the helpful info ladies! I'm sending off my paper work on Friday, so I'll be up for inspection in about 2 weeks. Happy Baking icon_smile.gif

EdieP Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:12pm
post #13 of 17

Just sent my paperwork in to get my kitchen inspected. Do my cake pans and baking supplies have to be separate. Right now I place them in my pantry with my regular food items. Also how do you black out your refrigerator light, and where do you get a refrigerator thermometer?

creamster Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:41pm
post #14 of 17

Hello,

I will be moving to NC in the next 1-2 years and will be building a separate kitchen from my house to start my home business. Where do you start on getting your license? I will be in the Talbot area.

tks

deah Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:15pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdieP

Also how do you black out your refrigerator light, and where do you get a refrigerator thermometer?

Edie, the remark regarding the covered light bulb is not pertaining to blacking out the light. The bulb needs to have a guard over it in case of breakage. Mine has a plastic shield covering the bulb - standard on most fridges I guess.

Pets - it is my understanding that you can have yard pets just none in your home - no dogs, cats, hamsters, frogs, etc.... Also, the wording on the application says something to the point of does an animal EVER enter your house. So, that tells me company can't bring their pets to your house either.

The NC Dept of Ag regulates home bakeries. Information can be found here - http://www.ncagr.gov/fooddrug/food/homebiz.htm

aligotmatt Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:48pm
post #16 of 17

Yeah, not even a fish in a bowl! We don't have one, but that tripped me out. If my kids won a goldfish at the fair, sorry! I was like, well, what if my husband brings home live lobsters to eat?! hah.

I was nervous about the inspection and all, as it's a pretty important thing to pass, but it was not so scary. Turns out my personal obsessions about cleanliness are just what she checked. I don't like things that don't match co-mingling, so there is no way my cake spatula could be a drawer with a spatula that touches meat, ever. Cake stuff won't even enter the dishwasher with other food stuffs.

Oh you know the one thing I do break from time to time, hey I'm just being honest here, you can't prepare any personal food while you are preparing cake foods. But I tell ya what, sometimes I'll put a cake into the oven, then get dinner into the crockpot. I would never put a lasagna in the oven with a cake, or cut chicken next to cooling rack, but if those cakes are in the oven, I might just boil noodles right over them. I told on myself too, we have to eat from time to time!

ptanyer Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 10:54pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks everyone for all the comments icon_smile.gif I just now got to check back on my post and found all the comments, my notification settings in my profile won't stay set so I didn't know about them.

I was told that the inspector would be calling me after October 20, but still haven't heard anything. Nerves, nerves, nerves icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%