Better Scratch White Vs Wasc

Decorating By kger Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 10:02pm by DsLady614

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:17am
post #1 of 37

I'm torn. I need to make a white cake and I like scratch baking, but the ratings are way higher for WASC.

What to do?

36 replies
julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:39am
post #2 of 37

My only gripe with WASC (and you can research this yourself) is that it is difficult to get it to bake all of the way through. Many people post about sinking centers and that is from it not being baked all of the way. HTH!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:58am
post #3 of 37

I make WASC all of the time using Duncan Hines white and 1 box of instant white chocolate pudding mix (regular, not sugar free) per box of cake mix.

I ALWAYS use an inverted flower nail in my cakes--1 in an 8", 2 in a 10 ", 3 in a 12", 4 in a 14". I bake at 325 until a toothpick comes out clean. I don't open the door often and I don't jiggle the cake on the rack by moving it around.

I have NO problem with sinking centers UNLESS I don't follow my own procedures.

I think it makes a delicious cake.

HTH
Rae

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:33am
post #4 of 37

Never a problem making either Rebecca Sutterby's or kakeladi's Original WASC. icon_smile.gif

kger Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:42am
post #5 of 37

I'm more concerned about taste and flavor. I want a WOW cake.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:43am
post #6 of 37

I made the WASC reciipe for first time in 2 pans (ball and squared) and it was perfect!! I baked at 300 degrees for 15 min, then 325 degrees for 30 min about,,and the cakes were very level..not sunk nor too high!! Perfectly level! Hmm

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:44am
post #7 of 37

and the cake was soooo "WOW" !! Awesome and dense enough for wedding cakes!

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:53am
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

I'm more concerned about taste and flavor. I want a WOW cake.

Totally understandable, but fact is, what's WOW to you may not be WOW to someone else--customer or baker.

I'd guess that you'd have to try out several recipes and decide what best represents you as the baker.

Like I said in my original post, I find my WASC to be delicious. That's also the response I've had from every person who's eaten it. It's tender, has a nice crumb, it's very white using the white chocolate pudding, pairs well with all sorts of fillings and icings, etc. I made it for my son's wedding...

Prior to finding this recipe, I never bothered with an honest white cake--to me, it was like the color white (actually the absence of color). I found white cake to be too light and too bland. I don't feel that way with WASC.

But, again, that's my (and my clients') honest opinion.
Rae

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:04am
post #9 of 37

I was always a scratch baker and then I found that dreaded WASC on CC. Then everyonne kept asking me for that darn WASC cake. I'm SICK of WASC!!! Everyone goes crazy over it. I dont' get it - but if they like it I bake it! It's the Rebecca Sutterby version.

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:32am
post #10 of 37

Agree with majority of posts. I use Kale;adi's and have been very pleased with it. BIL commented it was very tasty, and he doesn't eat sweets (cakes) a whole lot. Love how it bakes, hardly any level if at all.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:46am
post #11 of 37

I just made better white scratch cake for the second time today! The first time it went over really well, was flavored w/ raspberry and almond extracts..this time just vanilla. Not sure if it has the WOW factor (but nor does any white cake for me...)

kger Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:03am
post #12 of 37

Has anyone compared Rebecca Sutterby's with Kakeladi's?

My friend has asked me to recreate her wedding cake for her anniversary. I'm very excited because a) it gives me wedding cake practice, and b) this girl REALLY loves cake. She's still talking about another friend's wedding cake from 2006 (chocolate hazelnut). Seriously. I've heard about this cake at least 6 times since the wedding. And I ate this cake too and don't remember one thing about it.

She has told me her cake was just a plain white cake with vanilla b/c. I'm tempted to think it was a WASC. Anyway, I want her to still be talking about MY cake 4 years from now.

I've made a Better Scratch White before and while I was tickled that it baked beautifully, there was nothing notable about the flavor and it was a little to crumbly and dry to be "excellent cake." But maybe that's the nature of beast with egg whites only.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:00pm
post #13 of 37

WASC is my biggest seller here. I have people at cake tastings tell me all the time that it is the best cake they have ever eaten. It has just egg whites in it, and I never have any trouble with it at all. Definately my "go to" white cake!

kger Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 37

Loucinda- which WASC do you use?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 37
Quote:

Has anyone compared Rebecca Sutterby's with Kakeladi's?

Yes, since I advised that they both worked for me.....

If you read the recipes the only difference in ingredients is the small amount of oil in Rebecca's. The baking directions differ slightly, but you can choose whichever method suits you best and still get excellent results.

And as BlakesCakes said, WOW is pretty subjective so my favorite combination of almond flavored WASC cake with raspberry filling and CakemanOH's brite white frosting (also almond flavored) might not be your or your customer's favorite.

HTH

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 8:53pm
post #16 of 37

I use Rebecca's WASC, but as I said, I use Duncan Hines mixes and add 1 box of instant pudding mix per cake mix.

Rae

kger Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:24am
post #17 of 37

Just stuck some Rebecca Sutterby WASC in the oven. Holy cow, is that some great batter!

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #18 of 37

do you think that milk or buttermilk could be a substitution for the water in the WASC recipe?

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:29pm
post #19 of 37

I love the WASC cake and get rave reviews when I use it. Lately I have been using the Sylvia Weinstock yellow cake though. They are different in taste and the SW cake is not pure white but I love them both!
If you take a peek at the SW classic yellow cake I would advise on using the original version versus the newer one where she added 1 cup more of liquid.
Happy Baking thumbs_up.gif

dnrlee Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:37pm
post #20 of 37

I normally use SW's recipe (which I LOVE!) but I'm making a large sheet cake for a bunch of 18 year olds so I decided to go with the WASCicon_wink.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 7:51pm
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrlee

do you think that milk or buttermilk could be a substitution for the water in the WASC recipe?

If you use whole milk or whole fat buttermilk, it will change the balance of the recipe and be more prone to sinking. With all of that sourcream, you really don't need anymore fat, or flavor, for that matter.

Rae

dnrlee Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:08pm
post #22 of 37

I didn't think about it that way - good point!

kger Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:38pm
post #23 of 37

Fiddlesticks! I made a WASC with white chocolate pudding (sugar free) and tried to add some white chocolate to it. Cupcakes and 6" round all fell. Gotta re-bake.
Even so, the taste was not very "white chocolatey." I can only find White Chocolate Strawberry yogurt and White Chocolate Mudslide Creamer, both of which would add a different flavor to the cake. I did find some White Chcolate Torani syrup at World Market while I was buying more Lindt white chocolate. Do I dare attempt the Better Scratch White with my pricey ingredients?

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #24 of 37

can cream cheese be used instead of sour cream in the wasc recipe?

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:35pm
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annso

can cream cheese be used instead of sour cream in the wasc recipe?

I don't know for a fact but I really don't think cream cheese would work in place of sour cream in the WASC.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:51pm
post #26 of 37

QUOTE: I've made a Better Scratch White before and while I was tickled that it baked beautifully, there was nothing notable about the flavor and it was a little to crumbly and dry to be "excellent cake." But maybe that's the nature of beast with egg whites only.

DITTO: I felt the exact same way when i made that cake. The flavor was okay, but the texture was too dry and "dusty" for my taste.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:57pm
post #27 of 37
Quote:

Fiddlesticks! I made a WASC with white chocolate pudding (sugar free) and tried to add some white chocolate to it. Cupcakes and 6" round all fell. Gotta re-bake.
Even so, the taste was not very "white chocolatey." I can only find White Chocolate Strawberry yogurt and White Chocolate Mudslide Creamer, both of which would add a different flavor to the cake. I did find some White Chcolate Torani syrup at World Market while I was buying more Lindt white chocolate. Do I dare attempt the Better Scratch White with my pricey ingredients?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd use those ingredients in the WASC, where people will appreciate it.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm
post #28 of 37

Where can I find Sylvia Weinstocks yellow cake recipe? Please would anyone care to share? By the way, I always us the WASC cake recipe, both versions.....love them both, have never had any problems and people LOVE it. Not planning to change things any time soon but I have been looking for a good yellow cake recipe. Is there a version of the WASC recipe for a yellow cake?

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:54pm
post #29 of 37

Here is Sylvia's recipe I got from a newspaper article online - although I haven't made it yet myself, it sure has rave reviews!

Classic Yellow Cake

Source: Sylvia Weinstock

Ingredients:
2 ¼ cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ lb. (2 sticks) sweet butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites
1. Method:
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and line two 8 x 3-inch baking pans or one 12 x 3-inch pan with parchment.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. Cream the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy and light in color, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the sugar and continue to mix until fluffy and light.
5. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, being sure each is well incorporated before adding the next one. Add the vanilla.
6. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour. Be sure the mixture is completely blended after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and beat for 1 minute.
7. In a separate bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter with a rubber spatula.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and smooth with a rubber spatula. Bake in the preheated oven, 60 minutes for the 12-inch square pan or 45 to 50 minutes for the 8-inch pan. The top of the cake should be nicely browned. Test for doneness with a skewer or a toothpickÑthe tester should come out dry and clean.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 12:37am
post #30 of 37

This has to be a matter of taste because I think that the WASC is just a blah cake. I prefer Epicurious' Classic White Cake which I'm sure is too 'something or other' for other people. I haven't tried a Better Scratch white cake recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%