Cake Board Question

Decorating By Hilde00 Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 2:46pm by Hilde00

Hilde00 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 5

I have a question on stacking and what is the best type of cake board to use. I have seen the video's and read articles about pushing a dowel thru all of the layers, which would include the cake boards. What type of cake boards are you all using, and if they are cardboard, do you cover them with foil or wax paper? Thanks so much!

4 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 5

cake boards that are sold as cake boards don't have to be covered, they are food safe. I use cake boards that I buy at my local restuarant depot for between tiers and on the bottom, I use double thick foam core or plywood(depending on weight of finished cake). Those get covered with something.

tsal Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 5

Patty: are they the thin ones? I always use the cardboard boards that are covered in fanci foil, but I see really thin ones at my local restaurant supply store that have no foil (although one side is shiny). I'm paranoid that they would be too thin to support a heavy tier (I imagine you can only use these between tiers and not on the bottom).

pattycakesnj Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:02am
post #4 of 5

yes they are thin but they don't support the tiers, the dowels do. For the bottom, I use foam core or plywood as the base(depending on weight of cake) or double (or triple) the thin boards

Hilde00 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you Pattycakesnj icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%