Purple Tipped Roses

Decorating By Christina1207 Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 4:29am by jillyscakes

Christina1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina1207 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 8

Does any one know how to add a different color to just the tips to gumpaste/fondant roses? I know how to make the roses them selves just wondering how I would go about adding a different color just to the edges. I have a wedding a cake that the bride would like white roses with purple tips. Just wondering if anyone can give me a hint in how to do this. It would be awesome if it could also be done on chocolate roses also. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 8

I would use pearl dust for the edges (tips) of your rose petals. You can use a small soft bristled paint brush and brush the edges with the color of your choice. Wilton makes a purple, I have used it before. And it leaves a nice shimmer as well. If it doesn't stick, slightly dampen the edges first with a paint brush...but I've done it on dried gumpaste before and didn't even need to dampen the edges. I'm not sure what to do for the chocolate ones, I haven't attempted that before. Hope that helps!

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:21am
post #3 of 8

Ditto on the pearl dust. I have also used powdered (non-shimmery) colors and dusted them on. If you want to use gel coloring to paint the edges you may want to water it down with vodka first so it spreads better.

Christina1207 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 8

If I were to use the gel color how far would I thin it down? I thought of the pearl dust it's I am not sure how vibrant she wants the tips to be. So I can mix the pearl dust with water or vodka to make a paint?

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:26am
post #5 of 8

You would probably only need about 1/4 tsp vodka per toothpick of gel food coloring. But play around with it until it's the color you want.

Yes, you can mix pearl dust with vodka to make a paint. I've found I actually need a pretty strong concentration to achieve the effect I'm looking for. But, again, a little trial and error would be in order. Don't forget that both fondant and gumpaste are highly sensitive to moisture. The more times you paint over the same area or if the tip of the rose is actually dripping color, the more likely you are to have problems with your petals breaking. Definetely do a few practice petals first. Also, the vodka evaporates rapidly. If you find your petal dust paint has dried out in your bowl you can add more vodka to it to revive it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:38am
post #6 of 8

Wilton's colored dusts are pretty vibrant, some of them anyhow. You could mix the purple and white dusts to get the shade you want. I brush the dusts on dry. You can mix them into a paint but it's not as natural-looking on gumpaste flowers.

Christina1207 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:42am
post #7 of 8

Ok thanks for all the tips. I just wanted an idea of how to do it if she wants it as bright as I think she wants it. Thankfully I have a couple of months to pratice.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 4:29am
post #8 of 8

In England we use petal dust I have looked and Global sugar art sell them in the US over here we dust the tip then steam with kettle to set the colour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%