Great New Flavor Discovery!

Baking By diamonds-and-rust Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 3:14pm by diamonds-and-rust

diamonds-and-rust Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone!
Just wanted to tell you great creative ladies about a new discovery (well for me, anyway). The other day I was in my local Cash and Carry to pick up some Bettercreme and Sweetex. While perusing the aisles, I noticed that next to the Torani coffee syrups, there were jugs of Torani "smoothie" mix, and there were about 10 different flavors to choose from. After spending literally days reading the "gourmet flavor" thread, this discovery got my creative juices flowing.....I picked up a jug of the stuff in the mixed berry flavor, and today, proceeded to play in the kitchen icon_smile.gif I used the cake extender recipe along with a *GASP* box of DH butter yellow cake mix....I had a bit of trepidation as I was mixing this concoction, as I had read many CC'ers had epic fails with this stuff. But, this was only an experiment and no biggie if it didn't turn out well....to my suprise, it ROCKED icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I followed the directions on the dh box, except subbing the smoothie mix for the water. I then subbed mixed berry yogurt for the sour cream in the extender part of the recipe....I also altered that slightly by using cake flour instead of AP flour and threw in 1t baking powder for good measure, due to the batter's high sugar content. Oh, also decreased the sugar to 3/4 c. I now plan to tort my layers and fill with a mixture of Bettercreme and smoothie mix. Will frost with Sharon's BC (my absolute fave BC)
Will report back as to how the smoothie mix performs with the Bettercreme.
Oh, I also baked the cake at a lower temp for a longer period of time, and used the Wilton bake strips (LURVE those things)
Cathy

6 replies
tavyheather Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 7

wow!! look at you! I love when I get the motivation to invent something! Hope I can convert this into a scratch recipe! thanks for the inspiration!

sillywabbitz Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 7

That's awesome. I just googled and discovered that Dallas does have a cash and carry but best I can tell every cash and carry place is different so you never know what you're going to get. I'm going to go check it out in a couple of weeks.

diamonds-and-rust Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 7

You're most welcome, darling....I had another idea that I forgot to add in my original post. I had a giant Costco-size bag of dried mango sitting in my pantry. Had no idea what to do with it....decided to cook it up with a little water and fresh lemon juice and a bit of zest (primarily to prevent discoloration). Dumped it in my Cuisinart and pureed it a bit, but not completely as to leave a bit of texture to it. Froze it in ice cube trays, popped it into a ziplock bag, and am going to experiment with making a mango cake next....hmmmm...I feel like a mad scientist icon_biggrin.gif Oh how I LOVE this site thumbs_up.gif

diamonds-and-rust Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 7

Sillywabbitz, Cash and Carry is THE BEST....such good prices on our baking needs...I hope your local C&C is as great as ours are here in the Seattle area.
icon_smile.gif

bakencake Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 7

I have a question for sillywabbitz. I too live in the DFW area and want to ask if cash and carry is one of the places where I can guy some hi ratio shortening. do you know of some others?
thank you!!!

diamonds-and-rust Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 7

As promised, an update regarding Torani smoothie mix/Bettercreme concoction: turned out great! I used a 2:1 ratio...tasted faboo and also tinted the Bettercreme a lovely rose color...there ARE berry seeds in the smoothie mix, adding an interesting texture/visual effect to the filling/frosting.

May everyone have a very creative day icon_smile.gif
Cathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%