Is This A Good Airbrush For A First Timer?

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 2:48am by luv2cook721

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 10

I am looking at buying an airbrush, and wanted an educated opinion if this would be a good one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAKE-DECORATING-TATTOO-NAIL-ART-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-KIT-/140462705519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b43acb6f

please let me know what you think.

Jennifer

9 replies
dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 10

I've been on the hunt too for a 1st stage airbrush so can;t wait for people's feedback

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 10

One of the cake supply store is holding a class on how to use an airbrush which they're charging $250 I think, $30 for the class and the rest to buy the equip., and the brand is copycake. I also wanted to know if it was a good buy.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 10

I'm sorta new to an airbrush. My family bought me one for my birthday in February. I'm not sure if it's a good one - I never technically researched them. So....just remember that these are my parents walking into a craft store and saying...."I need an airbrush for cakes & cookies". This is what they got:

paasche airbrush set (double action, internal mix, siphon feed)
sparmax oi-less mini air compressor (came with a braided hose, pressure guage, moisture trap & 3 adapters for different brand airbrushes)

The airbrush itself has a little nozzle to control how fast the, I guess....air....comes out. A few times I've blasted my little fondant letters and flowers right off the counter!!!! HELLOOOO!!!!!

I do like it though. It's a lot of fun. I've never used that "cup" thingy that you see on tv. You know that little cup that holds the color? It sits on top of the airbrush & it is open on top. I just automatically picked up what looked like a tiny little glass paint jar with a screw on lid. It had a metal "straw" coming out of the top that connects into the airbrush "pen". It just made sense to me that it wouldn't spill out. I'm super clumsy.

I'm not what you call experienced. But, I like my toy! Oh - and my brother bought me a set of Americolor sheen colors including the metallics and pearl. I don't do a ton of cakes...just for fun now. But, I will say, the airbrush amps up the "finished" look on my cookies.

I hope you find one you like. icon_smile.gif

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 10

I have a copy cat and if I were to do it again I would buy a little better one. It has a tendency to splatter and clogs instantly if trying to use luster dust. JMO icon_smile.gif

QueDeeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueDeeCakes Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 10

I bought that exact airbrush and I found it to be way too powerful for my cake needs. I ended up selling the system because I got a clog after the 2nd use and had to disassemble the airbrush to clean it. To make a long story short, I reassembled the machine with minimal instructions because the manual is basically a few pictures on a half sheet of paper. Fortunately I was able to sell the airbrush to an artist and bought the Kopykake http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=kopykake+airbrush&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8234745397999646748&ei=FNu0TKWRGcOqlAfMt9TrCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CCwQ8wIwBQ#

...its sooooo much easier to use. Hope this helps..I have had no problems at all with the kopykake...

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 10

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/cakesys.aspx

Scroll down to about middle of the page.

I bought the G23-22 model from tcpglobal off of ebay. It is a great beginners airbrush, very user friendly. They answered all my questions and pointed me towards an airbrush tutorial on youtube. I have seen other cc members recommend this one also. The price is good, $69. +/-

luv2cook721 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCaker

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/cakesys.aspx

Scroll down to about middle of the page.

I bought the G23-22 model from tcpglobal off of ebay. It is a great beginners airbrush, very user friendly. They answered all my questions and pointed me towards an airbrush tutorial on youtube. I have seen other cc members recommend this one also. The price is good, $69. +/-

Can you do fine details with this or just broader ones? I saw someone who said she wasn't happy with her small airbrush because she couldn't get the fine lines.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:15am
post #9 of 10

Haven't done anything with "fine" details yet, I have used it to do lettering, making a line about the size a marker does. I use mine mostly for cupcakes, back ground, trims and some lettering. I hope to upgrade one day, once I get better at using it! icon_lol.gif I didn't want to invest a lot of money in one as I wasn't sure if I would like it or be able to use it correctly. I have found it to be a great learning airbrush. I practice on cake boards a lot! icon_wink.gif

luv2cook721 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:48am
post #10 of 10

Thanks, you guys, for the input, it is very helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%