How Long Does My Wasc Need To Bake?

Baking By timeforcake Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 6:25am by Cricketina

timeforcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timeforcake Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there. SO thrilled to have the wisdom of all of you experienced cake artist out there.
I just made a WASC (one whole recipe) and split it between four 9" cake pans with one flower nail in each pan. I have them in the oven at 325, 2 per oven. How long do you reccomend I bake them before I check for doneness, and what should I expect them to look like at that point? I've never used the clever flower nail idea before, so I'm not sure what the rising, etc. will do.

Thanks for your help!

6 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 7

I'm assuming your "1 whole recipe" means you used 2 boxes mix, if so, check after 45 min but it will probably need closer to 55 min. The top should look firm and spring back slightly when touched, toothpick almost clean (a few crumb on it). If you only used 1 box split between 4 pans, check at 30-35 min.

timeforcake Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 7

Yep, the 2 cake mix recipe and I'm so glad you said 45, b/c I was just going to go by the box directions had I not heard back which would've had me checking at 25 min!! Whew. Disaster averted.

They are starting to smell really good....

Also:
I have an appt. that will require me to leave these on the cake rack once they've been out of the oven about 10 minutes. Can I get away with leaving them for a couple of hours like that or should I try to get my 15 year old to wrap them up once they're cool?

Thanks so much for your help!!

mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 7

I made WASC last night and just left them in the pans uncovered all night.. When I got up this morning, I cut the tops off to make the cake even and underneath was soft, wonderful cake. The pans protected the sides and the top was cut off anyway. GL

timeforcake Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 7

Excellent! Thank you, Mrs. Cunningham!

timeforcake Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:04am
post #6 of 7

Excellent! Thank you, Mrs. Cunningham!

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:25am
post #7 of 7

I live in Colorado.....altitude big time ....the only way I can make the wasc recipe is to go 50 degrees lower and cook it longer! I use to have it dump in the center at 350 ...for the original wasc cake the tooth pick test has not failed me yet..good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%