Caramel Buttercream....help

Decorating By nesha Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 6:26pm by Stephy42088

nesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesha Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 7

HI CC, I have a request to make a yellow cake with caramel buttercream for satrday but the only thing is that I have noooo idea how to make this icing.......I'm confused, I don't know if I should cook my caramel to almost soft balll stage an make my buttercream like normal then add the cooled caramel or should I just add powdered sugar to the cooled whipped caramel icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif PLEASE HELP.........I NEED THIS BY FRIDAY....

6 replies
BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 7

There was one on here the other day. Here is a link.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16690/crusting-caramel-buttercream-icing

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 7

Hey there nesha in Bowling Green! I'm in central KY.
I have a go-to caramel frosting recipe, but I'm not sure you could call it a caramel buttercream. It does have butter and powdered sugar, and it does crust, but I don't know how it would be to smooth it; I just use it on jam cakes.

Melt 3/4 C. butter
Add 1 1/2 C. brown sugar
Add 1/4 C plus 2 T. milk and bring all to a boil.
Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm.
Add 1 tsp. vanilla
and 3 C. powdered sugar and beat until creamy.

I usually double this recipe.

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 7

nesha, I haven't made caramel buttercream but what I would do is buy carmal ice cream topping. Add the caramel to the buttercream. You could warm the caramel so that it incorporates easier. Hopefully someone else will respond and either confirm my idea or give you a better one.

Good Luck

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 7

Try making SMBC with all brown sugar instead of white sugar. We are running it on a pumpkin cake in our shop right now and it is AMAZING!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Try making SMBC with all brown sugar instead of white sugar. We are running it on a pumpkin cake in our shop right now and it is AMAZING!

I agree with KoryAK 100% on this. I got the recipe from a Martha Stewart thanksgiving magazine a couple of years ago...I think it went on a spice cake if that helps you search her web site. It is amazing and pretty too.

Edited to add: Here's the link. http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/caramelized-apple-spice-cake

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 7

I usually make a homemade caramel sauce using 1 1/2 cups white sugar, 1/3 cup water and then boiling it until it turns a deep amber color then add 1 1/4 cup heavy cream. It will seize and bubble but keep whisking it until it comes together, add 1 teaspoon vanilla and refridgerate until set. Then I add the whole thing to regular buttercream icing. It seems to work for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%