200 Cupcakes! Help!

Baking By ladyscots07 Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 2:42am by litlecuchi

ladyscots07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyscots07 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 14

I have to make 200 cupcakes for a Sweet 16 on Saturday. I was planning on making them Friday night and then frosting them Saturday morning before the event. Will this be ok?
Will the cupcakes get too dry/hard? I still want them to be fresh for the party, but does that mean I need to freeze them overnight? How do I freeze 200 cupcakes?

13 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 14

You could make them AND ice them Friday, if you want. Just seal them up in cake boxes and they'll be fine. If you're still worried, you can wrap the outside of each box in plastic wrap. Just be careful about sealing your packaging too airtight, as the moisture may cause the liners to pull away from the cupcakes.

Edited to add: You could bake them on Thurs and ice them on Fri, if you want.

SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 14

I would bake them and when they are cool, lightly wrap the tops in saran wrap. It will keep them moist.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 14

they should be fine. I made 150 for a wedding 2 weeks ago... made cupcakes day before the wedding, put in cupcake boxes, and iced the next day. rave reviews from the bride/groom and guests!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 14

Agree with MariaK38 - I followed the exact time line for a cupcake wedding and got rave reviews as well. icon_smile.gif

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 14

they should be fine. Just arrange them in a cake box and put in a large bag if you want. I had to make 1000 last weekend and did it that way. Just piped icing on the top right in the box. You can start sooner if you want and freeze them too. just arrange them on a cake board and slide them into a bag and seal. just like you would with any cake you are freezing.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 14

Time line also depends on what type of cake you are making. Scratch cake will stale faster than mix cake. Either way, you are good to bake Friday and just make sure that they get wrapped up. You should be able to swing Thursday if it's mix-based.

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 14

I had to make 215 cupcakes for a reception. Four different flavors, four different fillings, and four different frostings. I was in a panic too. Made all frostings and fillings and kept them in the fridge.

The cupcakes went really quick. Got them all lined up in the cake boxes, filled them, frosted them, done. Much quicker than I expected.

I did the same thing. Started making them on Thursday, kept them lightly covered, filled and frosted on Friday, ready for Saturday.

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 14

I have several of the "under the bed" seal shut boxes (large tupperwear boxes) - each holds about 60-80 cupcakes (depending on the decorations/icing)

Bake the cupcakes, place right in to the boxes.. snap shut... leave on the table until you are ready to ice - pop open.. ice and ready to go! NEVER have had a problem with anything drying out, and they transport really well also (line the bottom of the boxes with the shelf liner and the cupcakes stay put)

My DH and Kids go over and pop the cover off just to smell the cupcakes and the icing.. it really locks in the smell and the freshness !

HTH

Vicki

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 14

I just posted a picture with the last cupcakes I did.. I placed them in the box before I got the picture - so the picture is of the cupcakes in the boxes before I left the house.

But you get the idea....

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 14

I usually bake cakes day before needed, brush some sugar syrup on them and place in boxes after they've cooled.

I then mix up frosting and keep in fridge till the day cakes are needed then decorate on the day.

Lori00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori00 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:25am
post #12 of 14

I found that if you are using a box cake mix those cupcakes last forever! lol But if you make your cupcakes from scratch mix they are only moist for maybe two days. Also when I make from scratch cupcakes I brush them with a simple syrup to help keep the moisture in. Works for me. I just did 75 box mix cupcakes and baked them two days in advance because I had to do a tier cake a long with them frosted them the day before and they were fine for pickup the next day.

ladyscots07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyscots07 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:41am
post #13 of 14

VLK, that is a great idea. I think I have some of those and Ill probably use them. I am using a doctored box mix , but hopefully they still stay moist. I will be baking them on Friday and then frosting Saturday morning before we leave to the event.

litlecuchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
litlecuchi Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 2:42am
post #14 of 14

I did some cupcakes yesterday and today they were a bit soggy on top. would it be cause they were too air tight as someone mentioned before? I placed them in one of those containers for cupcakes from Michaels. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%