Cake Boards Question ....help Please!

Decorating By Jennie91 Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 11:48pm by BlakesCakes

Jennie91 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 3

I have a 3 tiered wedding cake coming up and needed plywood cake circles, so my boyfriend who works in construction made the cake boards out of 1/2 inch plywood and got a sheet of some plastic material cut to size and glued it on the tops of the boards and varnished the underneath.... my question is can I put the cakes straight on the plastic covering or do I need to cover it again in foil?? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

2 replies
JawdroppingCakes Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 3

I use plywood all the time and I Put the bottom cake on a cake board the same size of the cake. I also just cover my plywood with fondant.

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie91

I have a 3 tiered wedding cake coming up and needed plywood cake circles, so my boyfriend who works in construction made the cake boards out of 1/2 inch plywood and got a sheet of some plastic material cut to size and glued it on the tops of the boards and varnished the underneath.... my question is can I put the cakes straight on the plastic covering or do I need to cover it again in foil?? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

You absolutely should have a cake board under each cake as a barrier between the cake and the plastic. Not all plastics are food safe and it will also make serving the cake easier.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%