Edible Sugar Diamonds With Isomalt

Decorating By cakefusion Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 5:21pm by leah_s

cakefusion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefusion Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone ever tried making the edible sugar diamonds using Isomalt? I have a cake that I am doing for Friday and I wanted to use some, however no one in my city sells them. Is this a hard process, and can this be done within a few days timeframe? Thanks icon_confused.gif

4 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 5

If you have the isomalt and a silicone mold, then it doesnt take very long to make them. You put your isomalt on the stove and melt it until it reaches 350 on a candy thermometer. Then pour the isomalt into your mold. Let it sit and harden and then pop them out. The closer to the time that you will use them, make them because isomalt will cloud up after a few days. It that happens you can hit it with a mini creme brulee blow torch and it will clear it out. Just be careful because its extremely hot working with this kind of sugar. You want to have a bowl of ice water near you just in case!!

cakefusion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefusion Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much weirkd, I just went out and bought the Isomalt and a couple of molds. Of course would'nt you know it--the Isomalt package has NO INSTRUCTIONS! lol Do you have to add some water to it?

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 5

I have seen some of the professionals use it without water. However, I just took a class and they suggested that you add water to make the sugar look like wet sand. So we put the sugar in the pot and started to add the water. Use your hands to mix until it gets to the wet sand stage. Then put it on the fire. Do not let the flames go up the side of the pot.

Hope this helps.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 5

Or, save yourself the headache and just buy 'em.
http://www.cakecrystals.com/page/page/7452911.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%