Edible Ink Printer Help!

Decorating By jackmo Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 11:05am by icingimages

jackmo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 22

i am thinking of purchasing a edible image printer. what is a good printer that is economical. also i heard you can purchase a printer and buy the edible ink and do it your self. how is that? please advise. thanks!

21 replies
gingerbreadtogo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 22

I bought a Canon ip3600 on line (you can find a good deal- I can't remember if it was Amazon or somewhere else). Then I bought edible ink and supplies from kopykake. If I did it again, I'd get my supplies from Icing Images- I'm slowly changing over to them (she is very helpful, also has a section here on CC if you go to forums you'll see it.)

There are some threads talking about printers. Canon allows you to take out printhead and clean it (which you have to do periodically for clogs). They say Epson does not have a removable printhead-so is harder to clean.

Good Luck.

jackmo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 22

thanks lisa. now what do you do to convert it to a edible ink printer?

icingimages Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 22

There is nothing to convert. If you are using a new printer, you just begin with the edible inks in it. Make sure that you will print at least once per week otherwise, you will be spending more time on maintenance then printing!
Thank you

gingerbreadtogo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 22

Debbie, Kopy kake has the templates for printing images. Do you have something similar?

tiggy2 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 22

You can download Edible Artist from the internet for free. Just do a google search.

gingerbreadtogo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 22

jackmo, You should go to icing images to see which printers are compatible with thier inks. Then when you order printer from wherever, you can order ink cartridges from icing iamges. All you need to do is put edible ink into printer. As tiggy 2 said you can do a search and download "edible artist" for templates.

KoryAK Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 22

Just go through icingimages.com! They are amazing!

icingimages Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 22

Thank you all for the kind words. I do have to say that I have the best customers around! Let me know if I can help clear anything up during your purchasing decision.

officer0154 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:33am
post #10 of 22

I just bought a Canon MP560 Edible Printer on ebay from a Authorized Dealer for Icing Images. I set up the printer exactly through the step by step instructions and first I had an ink flow problem, then when I followed the directions on how to get the ink to flow, finally it started to print right, but now I'm getting indentions in my icing images, like stripes in the frosting. Also every time I print a frosting sheet my ink flow stops working and I feel as though I can only print one sheet, then have to clean the nozzles and/or deep clean otherwise it won't print properly. I have went round and round with this printer and I'm starting to get upset. DOES anyone have any suggestions??? I was told by the seller on ebay that since I didn't buy the printer direct through icing images, that theres no warranty. So what do I do as I have orders piling in and I can't send a product that doesn't look perfect out to a customer. ANY IDEAS??? ALL CONSIDERED. Thanks.

braysmama Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 22

I have a Canon IP4700, purchased new a few months ago and I have had no end of trouble with it. I have decided to flag it now. Every time I print I have to wash the printhead, syringe it, waste ink and now it won't print properly at all. The maintenance of it far outweighs the ability to print edible sheets.

My advice would be to choose carefully when you purchase. Icing Images has been very helpful to me so they get my voteicon_smile.gif

icingimages Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 22

It is hard to tech support on the phone. If you are using our brand, be sure that you removed the silver tab above the gold label. That will impede the ink flow.

Braysmama, how long do you go between prints?

Mb20fan Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:34pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

It is hard to tech support on the phone. If you are using our brand, be sure that you removed the silver tab above the gold label. That will impede the ink flow.

I'm quite curious as to why you have to print at least once a week to prevent maintenance issues. I will be in the market for an edible image setup myself after the 1st of the year. I definitely want something that is of course good quality. LOW maintenance and not too costly. What happens when you don't need to print once a week?

tiggy2 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm
post #14 of 22

If you don't print something once a week the print head will clog. I just print on paper once a week to prevent problems.

icingimages Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:45pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

I am sorry... I miswrote!!! I ment, it is hard to tech support in a forum...it is easier on the phone.

Everyone is correct, you really should be printing at least once per week! The reason for this is that edible inks do not have poisons in them to help to prevent clogging. By printing, it keeps the ink flowing. You can print on regular paper at any time. The ink is the low cost of printing, especially when you are refilling. So to keep your maintenance down, just print once per week. In our office, we dont buy regular inks, we use the edible inks in the majority of our printers as the cost for regular ink and edible ink is about the same. Keep in mind, however that edibel inks will fade on regular paper over time.

Now when you are considering purchasing an edible printer, we only recommend it if you will print at least 4 times per month. Otherwise it is more cost effect to have someone print for you. Now I do have many customers who are in a printer anyway and they follow the recommendations above.

robinscakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:13pm
post #16 of 22

I have an Icing Images printer that I bought a little over a year ago (Canon Pixma MP560). I had a ton of trouble with it at first: leaky cartridges, streaky prints, color was off. Was ready to throw it out the window. It took a while but I've got it under control now. The Icing Images people were helpful on the phone, and I think I bugged the crap out of them for a few weeks. I am happy with the quality of the prints now. Great color. It's slow to print, but that's okay.

braysmama Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:29pm
post #17 of 22

I can print 2 or 3 sheets in a week but then I may have 2 or 3 weeks between the next prints. I figure I am not printing enough for it to be working efficiently. Usually I can wash the printhead and dry it before reinserting it and I get a very good quality print but this time I have an order to do and it just will not printicon_sad.gif I have tried everything I can to no avail.

I am in New Zealand so the cost to buy cartridges from US is not cheap (although much cheaper than buying them from the local distributor).

icingimages Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:33pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

I have an Icing Images printer that I bought a little over a year ago (Canon Pixma MP560). I had a ton of trouble with it at first: leaky cartridges, streaky prints, color was off. Was ready to throw it out the window. It took a while but I've got it under control now. The Icing Images people were helpful on the phone, and I think I bugged the crap out of them for a few weeks. I am happy with the quality of the prints now. Great color. It's slow to print, but that's okay.

It's really hard to bug the crap out of us!!! Thank you for the compliment...you say your printer prints slow? What paper settings are you printing at?

icingimages Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:35pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by braysmama

I can print 2 or 3 sheets in a week but then I may have 2 or 3 weeks between the next prints. I figure I am not printing enough for it to be working efficiently. Usually I can wash the printhead and dry it before reinserting it and I get a very good quality print but this time I have an order to do and it just will not printicon_sad.gif I have tried everything I can to no avail.

I am in New Zealand so the cost to buy cartridges from US is not cheap (although much cheaper than buying them from the local distributor).

I would leave everything in the printer and then just print once per week. If you are using our products, make sure that you removed the tape above the cartridge label. If you still have difficulty, you may need to try using a steamer if your printhead is clogged. But are you getting anything on your print?

icingimages Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:43pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

It's really hard to bug the crap out of us!!! Thank you for the compliment...you say your printer prints slow? What paper settings are you printing at?

LisaR64 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:32am
post #21 of 22

I have a Canon IP3500, but want to upgrade to a wireless printer. Can anyone recommend a good wireless edible image printer that will use the same cartridges as the IP3500?

icingimages Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:05am
post #22 of 22

Unfortunately, there is no printer that uses those cartridges that is wireless. The printer you would want is the Canon mp560, but the cartrdiges are different.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%