Bah, Time And Time Again! Me=Gullable..how To Reply?

Decorating By BethLS Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 2:47pm by indydebi

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 17

We've heard it all folks, and then some. And I've been there and done that...and yet I still manage to try to do cakes for friends. (Someone, please, just slap me!)

I have a wedding cake and a grooms cake for pickup Friday...nothing too difficult, but just time consuming...you know the drill icon_wink.gif The bride has been Amazingly wonderful, one of those brides you just dream of working with!

HOWEVER (but, or butt, lol) I have this gal who I went to Highschool with, that contacted me wanting a graduation cake for her father (a cap with a tassle) for Saturday. I said sure, no problem, gave her a quote based on the 75 servings, and said no problem. A day later (this was last week, btw) she emailed back and said, sorry, my mom wants it to be smaller and simpler (aka cheaper) and what would that cost. So I downsize the serving counts down to 24 and requoted. She says super. Two days ago she emailed changing the colors to black instead of his school colors (burgandy) and I told her I didnt recommened a cake completely all done in black (black teeth, yum). So she emails back and says her mom doesn't want it now. Okay, fine by me at this point!

Fastforward to last night, and she emails again saying "how about doing 50 cupcakes (26 more servings than the cake she wanted) with half having a cap on them, half having a scroll on them" and "will they be the same price of 35$?"

I'm just in awe right now, lol...really, 50 cupcakes, with fondant pieces on all of them, for 35$? I dont even know how to reply!

What do YOU charge for 50 cupcakes with detailed pieces on them? I typically do 2$ a cupcake...I'm in Michigan if that helps for location.

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 17

Cupcakes with a basic swirl and a truly simple punched out flower on top, $2.75 each (filled). Handmade caps and scrolls? Hmmm . . . $4 each. Even if I went to the cake store and bought the plastic caps and scrolls, $3 - $3.25 each.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 17

"I'm sorry, former high school friend, but I cannot accommodate your request for 50 fondant decorated cupcakes for $35."

If your price is $2 for a cupcake (does that include fondant accents?), that's your price.

Even if you could get the fondant pieces made in an hour, you'd be losing money on the job.

Did you quote her a price of $35 for the 24-serving cake? She was lucky to get that.

BethLS Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 17

THANK-YOU!

Its funny how you KNOW this stuff in your head, but it likes to go buh-bye when you're dealing with friends. (or, so called friends who like to screw yah over)

I really wish someone would write up a cutesy paper we could hand to clients when they all of a sudden get "sticker shock" of WHY we charge what we do. Maybe then they'd get it!

Classic example of champagne taste on a beer budget!

I did quote her the small cake for 35...for two reasons...1) "friend" and 2) I wanted to add some chocolate work into my portfolio and the cap would have done it icon_wink.gif)

I sent her an email saying she could probably get 24 cuppies at WalMart for 16.88 or four dozen for around 35 icon_wink.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 17

Yup..I would have emailed the same thing...My cupcakes start at $2.50 each basic BC swirl..anything extra like fondant etc go up....I would not have done them for anything less than $3.50 each.

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 17

I agree. I would stick to your price. All the time you put into it is definately worth the what you would charge (if not more). Walmart probably would still be more than $35 for 50 cupcakes.

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 17

Just a suggestion, what I do for "friends" is quote them the amount I would ususally charge and then tell them I'm giving them a "friends and family discount" of 10% off. Usually, they are good with that. Good luck to you, and stick to your guns. You work hard, so you should get paid for all you do!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 17

You definitely have to put the breaks on the discounts...you will burn yourself out quickly, and for no profit.
If you really want to do something for friends, do something that adds value to what you are creating. That way it isn't necessarily costing you much/if anything. For example: How about offering to deliver the cake for free or add a specialty filling for free or a few extra cupcakes in their box. I've said "I'm just going to package up a few cupcakes for you for after the party...so you can sit back and enjoy". Extra batter in the cupcake tins doesn't require much work or cost.
When I've done this for friends, I've always quoted them a price and have had them agree on it. If it's out of budget, we scale back. Then I add "since we are friends, I would love to have you pick out some specialty fillings (or whatever you choose...see above) as a gift from me".

To be honest though...any friend worth giving of your time and expense...probably won't ask you to lower your price. They realize how important your time is and wouldn't dream of taking advantage. So...think about who "qualifies" as a friend who should get discounts.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLS

"how about doing 50 cupcakes (26 more servings than the cake she wanted) with half having a cap on them, half having a scroll on them" and "will they be the same price of 35$?".

Wonder if this works at the car dealership? icon_rolleyes.gif "Yeah, no Volkswagon for me, how about that loaded Mercedes convertible? "

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 17

I am a sucker when it comes to my friends and family BUT that is my super close friends (like 3) and my immediate family who have proven they will not take advantage of me. If I do freebie cakes or way discounted the rule is I pick EVERYTHING, flavor, filling and design. That way I use these as ways to add to my portfolio of techniques or recipes I have not done before. I still maintain my highest quality of work, ie just becuase they are not paying I would never send out something that I wouldn;t photograph and put on the front page of my website. I think we all have to reconsider who these "friends" are. If they are willing to take advantage of you by unercutting your prices they they should be trimmed from your christmas card list!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 10:17pm
post #11 of 17

Everyone's pricing is different due to the areas that we live in, so I'm not going to give you what I would charge.

What I would do, is tell your friend that you are no longer available. If it's an order that I really don't want, I will not take it. It'll tend to be more of a headache because these customers are the ones that will come back with some complaint and wanting a refund. I say cut her loose and tell her no. Follow your instincts. She has enough time to go get cupcakes or a cake at the price her mom wants at the local grocery store.

BethLS Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:06pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks for everyones word of advice!

Thankfully I'm not doing her request!

She decided to "do her own cupcakes" and I said have fun! icon_lol.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:44pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:

Fastforward to last night, and she emails again saying "how about doing 50 cupcakes (26 more servings than the cake she wanted) with half having a cap on them, half having a scroll on them" and "will they be the same price of 35$?"

I'm just in awe right now, lol...really, 50 cupcakes, with fondant pieces on all of them, for 35$? I dont even know how to reply!

What do YOU charge for 50 cupcakes with detailed pieces on them? I typically do 2$ a cupcake...I'm in Michigan if that helps for location.

Here's your reply.

Thanks for asking about my cupcakes, they are $$$ for basic BC & $$$ for fondant. If you do decide you'd like to place the order please let me know by the end of business today. I normally don't take orders just 3 days in advance, but because you had a cake order & cancelled it I'm willing to this time.

or maybe that doesn't sound nice, idk....I have trouble sounding rude when emailing ppl.

Good Luck & don't sell yourself short, your time is valuable too.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:44pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for everyones word of advice!

Thankfully I'm not doing her request!

She decided to "do her own cupcakes" and I said have fun! icon_lol.gif

well that sounds even better!!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 17

Glad she decided to do her own and now you don't have to deal with the stress of that.

BethLS Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:11pm
post #16 of 17

Amen!

I didnt need the order by any means! I'm glad to not have to deal with it...(as I type I have four cakes in the oven and getting ready to start forming flowers!)

I love CC!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:47pm
post #17 of 17

"I want twice the cake at half the price. that's how it works, right?" icon_confused.gif

I had an inquiry on the catering side and she said, "Do I get a discount because it's only 50 people?" I told her that actually she'd probably pay more BECAUSE it's 'only' 50 people due to base overhead costs.

Silly Customers! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%