Help! My Fondant Turned Purple!

Decorating By Ellyane Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 1:50pm by AnotherCreation

Ellyane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellyane Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 10

Hi!
I'm new here, and I need help.
I tried making gray fondant - I put a drop of Wilton black coloring into my melted marshmallows, and when I mixed it all up it looked perfect. But now it has been sitting in my cupboard a couple of days, and it has turned purple! What happened? Can I fix it, or do I need to start over? Thanks!

9 replies
dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 10

that's a Wilton issue. There is another thread about the same thing. Sorryicon_sad.gif A lot of people use Americolor. I mostly use it and don't have any issues with the colors. I'm not sure how you could fix it.

Ellyane Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 10

Where can I get Americolor? Is it only available online, or is there a store somewhere that carries it?

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 10

Do you have a local cake supply store other than a craft store? If not, you can order it from Global Sugar Art or www.fondantsource.com

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 10

hobby lobby in my area carries americolor now. You could try there if you have one. hth

Ellyane Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 10

It looks like I'll have to order some Americolor, but I doubt it will be here in time for the cake I need to finish Sat. morning. What do you suggest I do for that? Should I add more coloring to the existing fondant, or should I start over and just make the fondant that day?

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 10

If I were you, I would get a can of Wilton Black color mist. With Halloween just around the corner all the stores have black out.

Adamsgama

Ellyane Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 10

adamsgama, will that make my final color gray?

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 10

No sorry, I misunderstood. I thougt you were trying to make black fondant

Adamsgama

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 10

I would start over and color the fondant that day. I don't know how much fondant you are coloring gray, but I would attempt to color it gray in very small batches and then mix them all together. Maybe that will help from having any purple show thru.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%