Moving A Cake With Crusting Buttercream

Lounge By apesusi Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 4:03pm by Joshua_Alan

apesusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apesusi Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:53am
post #1 of 8

How do you guys move a cake that has crusting buttercream? Any time I try to move it, the cake cracks and wrinkles really bad because of the crust layer.
Any tips?

7 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:03am
post #2 of 8

I use crusting buttercream 99% of the time. You need a stronger board, that is what is causing the cracking. I personally use 1/2" foamcore.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:24am
post #3 of 8

I agree with Loucinda. The only time I had those problems with bc it was because the base was not sturdy enough.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 8

yep. sturdy boards = zero problems. thumbs_up.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:33am
post #5 of 8

You can either use the foam core, or double or triple up on your cake circles.
If it's a big cake, I go for overkill on the cardboard circles. I do 4 sometimes, cover with white freezer paper and hot glue a ribbon around the base.

apesusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apesusi Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:44am
post #6 of 8

aww... you guys are great! Thanks!

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:49am
post #7 of 8

This is a good question icon_smile.gif I did solve that problem with heavier board but what if its a wedding cake and its the middle layer ? Do we still use thicker board ? Im afraid of the board showing and my icing boarder not hiding it ? Hope this makes sense .

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnessx3

This is a good question icon_smile.gif I did solve that problem with heavier board but what if its a wedding cake and its the middle layer ? Do we still use thicker board ? Im afraid of the board showing and my icing boarder not hiding it ? Hope this makes sense .

In that case I'd have it on it's usual cake circle and on top of a spare thicker board to make moving it easier and safer until it's time to stack it. Then you'll just need to be extra careful when you go to stack it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%