Groom's Cake, Traveling, Help Me With My Timeline Please??

Decorating By sumerae Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 3:22am by cakesrock

sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:31am
post #1 of 2

Wedding is Sat. evening. DD is in the wedding, we are traveling up for all the fanfare early Friday morning, 3-4 hour trip. I'm not at all confident enough to stack the tiers and travel with it stacked. Cake is a 10 in. square (choc. w/ indydeb's BC, will be 3 layers, not torted, to get the height I want) and 8 in. round (yellow scratch, Sylvia Weinstock's recipe) with the crusting choc. BC posted in the most saved recipes. (yellow will be torted, 2 pans for a total of 4 layers for the 8 in. round.

My thoughts on baking and traveling:
Tues evening: Make the icings (and possibly the batter for the choc. cake, should i freeze it or just frig until cooking?)
Weds. night: Bake chocolate cake, frost the layers, stack, let set with the tile to help prevent bulging
Thurs. morning bake yellow cake
Thurs. night: frost each tier.

Traveling: Each tier would be in it's own box. Bringing tools and icing with me for border, fixes, etc.
Friday morning: traveling
Sat. morning: go the to country club/reception and put cake together/finishingtouches.

This is all for a friend, of course I want it o be perfect, do you think the cakes will still be fresh and ok: having been bakes that far in advance?

1 reply
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:22am
post #2 of 2

I would recommend that you don't make the batter in advance (leaving it overnight affects how it rises) ,
Do you have time to make and bake them all on Tues? If so, I would...Then do the icing on Wed, and of course, if you are doing Indydebi's, you don't have to refrigerate. Then frost the layers on Wed as well.... set overnight (you don't need the tile). If you can bump up the frosting the layers to Tues, that would help. Then frost on Thurs . (or Wed. if possible). Then put each layer in a cake box covered with 2 garbage bags (push as much air as possibel out) and freeze. If you leave them in the fridge until you leave Friday, you will risk them drying out...each day counts. So, you are better to freeze, even 1 night extends the life of the cake too..They say the max to eat is day 4.. So, getting the bulk of the work out of the way on Tues and freezing a day earlier is a good plan if you can pull it off!
Yes, take your 'repair kit' with you. I transported my cake 3 hours to my wedding and I did the stacking and repairs on site. That is my suggestion, anyway.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%