Red Buttercream

Decorating By Nikkimaxleo Updated 18 Sep 2011 , 4:34pm by Lami16

Nikkimaxleo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:41am
post #1 of 14

Help! I'm trying to get a true Christmas red buttercream and no matte. How I mix or what red I use I cannot get that color unless it tastes horrible... Any ideas on how to get the red color greatly appreciated! Thanks..

13 replies
DSmo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:59am
post #2 of 14

I've had very good success with Wilton No-Taste Red.

tcwheeler Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:00am
post #3 of 14

There's a no taste red that you can use. Also, make it ahead. Color darkens slightly.

tracey1970 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:01am
post #4 of 14

Have you tried coloring the icing dark pink first and then adding red? I find you need less red color when working from a dark pink base than from white, which means less bad taste, and the dark pink doesn't require a lot of color.

nonilm Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:20am
post #5 of 14

I read an article about adding more vanilla (or other flavoring) to offset the color flavor.

soph917 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:25am
post #6 of 14

For red I dye my buttercream yellow first, then red. Takes less red dye. Plus I make it at least a day in advance, pop it in the freezer, then take it out when ready to use. I put it back in my KA mixing bowl, melt it a little over a double boiler and whip it again. I know it sounds like a lot to do, but it really works to get a deeper red. I make the cheeseburger cupcakes with ketchup and mustard a lot, so I often need a deep red. icon_wink.gif

beesweetcakes Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:52am
post #7 of 14

I agree with tracey1970. I do the same thing and it works every time. I do make my Red BC several days in advance and keep checking it until I achieve the color that I want. Good luck!!!

grandmaruth Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:31am
post #8 of 14

I know many dont like Wilton but they do make a red butter cream...saves alot of time if you are in a hurry...just a heads up

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:28am
post #9 of 14

I always color my BC pink first. When I used Wilton's I combine both the no-taste red (this is the one I use the most of) and some red-red or Christmas red, depending on what shade of red I want. Keep in mind that it does take almost all of the container of no-taste red. Now, I just use Americolor's super red. I still color it pink, but the Americolor makes a nice vibrant red without using as much as Wilton's. Hobby Lobby sells Americolors now. I bought both the super red and super black in the large 4 oz bottles with my 40% off coupon for a little over $2 each. Another thing I love about Americolors is that it comes in squeeze bottles, no more using toothpicks to get the color out of the jars. Also, make your BC the night before, because with either brand it will darken over time.

Cargal Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:44am
post #10 of 14

Another option besides Wilton's red is Sam's. My Sam's sells 1 gallon icing in lots of colors. I used the red last year to cover an entire cake after it was suggested to me. It's not homemade, but it's tastes good and it's about $10/gallon.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:49am
post #11 of 14
Originally Posted by Cargal

Another option besides Wilton's red is Sam's. My Sam's sells 1 gallon icing in lots of colors. I used the red last year to cover an entire cake after it was suggested to me. It's not homemade, but it's tastes good and it's about $10/gallon.

That's great to know. I do not like Wilton's pre-made icing, I think it has a funny chemical taste to it. I'll have to keep that in mind, when I need lots of red.

cakeythings1961 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:34pm
post #12 of 14

I hate making red! And black! I've started using Wilton pre-made black for outlining, but red continues to be a problem because I need it to cover larger areas. I made some Elmo red this week and it took the entire bottle of Americolor super red and a bunch of burgundy, as well. Ugh. I'll try the bright pink trick...thanks!

tcwheeler Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 14

Agree....helps to start with ANY shade lighter than what you're wanting to achieve the darker shade. Yes, Americolors are great because of their convenience, concentration, etc. Yep, have to use almost the whole bottle of anything to get red, red! Sometimes, I add a touch of Wilton "Rose" color to get a pretty red. Forgot that HL was selling Americolor now...thanks for the reminder!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif)))))) Another thing that I tried that works...adding a little cornstarch to your icing if it starts looking like the shortening isn't coloring. The cornstarch helps absorb the extra moisture without making it thicker. Read this in a thread here on CC forum.

Lami16 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:34pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks for all these tips and ideas. It's been frustrating for me to get my buttercream to turn red. I'll try the pink starter option.

Quote by @%username% on %date%