Dragees ???

Decorating By ranbel Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 11:25am by ranbel

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:05am
post #1 of 14

For some reason, I thought I had heard that dragees had been outlawed or something like that. I have a cake to do for next month that has dragees on it.

My question is, can you get them or would it be safer to make silver icing and put the dots instead of using dragees? I'm not really sure how hard they are if you bite into them.

Can you get coloring to dye icing silver or do you just mix in the shimmer dust??

13 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:18am
post #2 of 14

They're not illegal everywhere. I know they're illegal in CA, but I don't know about FL.

ranbel Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 14

Yeah, I was thinking it may be state specific and I think they are illegal in FL..if I remember correctly, I had asked my local cake supply store and I think that is where I got this info.

Nikkimaxleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikkimaxleo Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:38am
post #4 of 14

Why are they illegal?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:39am
post #5 of 14

Here's a link to some specifics on dragee availability...

http://tinyurl.com/2c4e333

ranbel Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:02am
post #6 of 14

Ok, since I can't use dragees, what about the silver effect? Can you tint bc with the silver luster dust or is there a better way?

Thanks for your help icon_razz.gif

SpringFlour Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:14am
post #7 of 14

You can make fondant pearls and paint them with a mixture of silver dust and vodka. The luster dust will not color buttercream the way you want it to.

ranbel Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:20am
post #8 of 14

Ok, thanks springflour - I had not thought of making them out of fondant...that's what CC is for.

Again, thanks for your help...off to bed now, I'm 3 hrs ahead of ya.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:31am
post #9 of 14

They are not illegal. Just some over-zealous lawyers in California (and possibly other states, IDK) who have scared sellers so bad that they choose not to sell there. You should be able to order them from somewhere or have a friend in a "safe" state send you some.

SpringFlour Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:40am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

They are not illegal. Just some over-zealous lawyers in California (and possibly other states, IDK) who have scared sellers so bad that they choose not to sell there. You should be able to order them from somewhere or have a friend in a "safe" state send you some.

Companies will NOT ship to California. If you have a friend out of state, perhaps they could buy some for you and mail them, but suppliers won't do it.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:56am
post #11 of 14

I don't think they are illegal in FL. I buy mine on ebay and every seller has a large message saying they will not ship them to CA, however I have never seen anything about FL.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:02am
post #13 of 14

I am in Georgia and I won't swear to it...but I don't believe they are illegal in Florida since my fondant supplier (in FL) sells dragees.

ranbel Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:25am
post #14 of 14

I went to this link and FL is listed as one of the 6 states. I think I will play it safe us make fondant beads.

I apprciate all your help.

http://tinyurl.com/2c4e333

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%