What's The Best Way To Bake Mini Cakes?

Decorating By starrscharfen Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 8:14pm by starrscharfen

starrscharfen Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 3

I want to branch out and attempt decorating mini cakes with fondant and other fun techniques. What's the best way to bake mini cakes? I've seen suggestions to use mini cake pans but in the interest of being low on cash I need to try the method of cutting them out of larger baked cakes. Is it best to freeze the larger cake and then cut the mini cakes while frozen or should they be cut shortly after cooling from the oven? And if it is best to cut them shortly after being cooled from the oven, what's the best way to store them for use within 2-4 weeks?

BTW - I love this site and come back to it for help more than any other! This is my first forum post.

Thanks!

2 replies
cakesrock Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:41am
post #2 of 3

Hi welcome! yes, this site is fantastic! So much helpful info...
I just bought the Confetti cakes cookbook and she uses a 1/2sheet pan and stacks. You can get 3 mini's out of it. Depending on what you are making (I did the gifts and got 3 mini cakes out a 1/2 sheet. Yes, freeze for at least 30 mins before you cut, esp the crumbly, scratch variety or a choc WASC.
Then to store, I wrap in Glad press n' seal and store for 4-8 weeks on average.. But I had one in my freezer for 3 months and you would never have known. If I cover in fondant and want to freeze, then I put in a cake box or plastic container and put 2 garbage bags over the container, push as much air as possible out, then freeze..
HTH!

starrscharfen Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for the advice. I prefer to cut frozen cakes and am happy to hear that as the answer. I'm excited to try them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%