Fall Leaf Color Help

Decorating By Alaskahsm Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 4:13pm by Alaskahsm

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get real fall leaf color. I have a ton of Americolor and do not have an airbrush. I am using white satin ice and tylose powder. My problem is the color chart I was using is no longer online. My fingers are stained all kinds of colors and I need this cake done by Saturday. I have tried a few colors and they look too bright or too muddy. Does anyone have any idea what americolor colors I should use?

5 replies
Alaskahsm Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 6

Okay, what do you all think of these leaves?

The leaves are in my photos. I couldn't figure out how to get the attachment on here.

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:28am
post #3 of 6

Im thinking you definitely need a deep red, orange, and yellow in there.

For Americolor, try a combo of Super Red and a drop of Maroon for a great Crimson Red. Orange or Terracotta will work, and then just a little bit of the lemon yellow for the last color. Don't leave out my very favorite colors of Fall! Deep brown, and soft green (Avocado) as well! Post new pics as you do more!

Alaskahsm Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #4 of 6

Oh Thank you thank you thank you! I will try that and post new pictures of it.

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 6

Another nice option is to take a few of your autumn colored gumpaste pieces and knead them together slightly, then roll it out thin. The result shouldn't look marbled or striped, but will just have some variation in color. I've done a lot of leaf cakes recently (leaf cakes are very popular here in Vermont) and this method works well. Hope it makes some sense -- I've had a long day today!

Alaskahsm Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you guys for your help. I finished the cake this morning and am about to post my pictures to the gallery. If you'd like could you tell me what you think of the final?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%