French Macaroons / Confused About Ganache

Baking By Cathy26 Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 5:33pm by aswartzw

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys, just made my first ever batch of French Macaroons and was so proud - they event had the little "foot" they are supposed to have! going to start selling them in the shop but would love to use something other than buttercream - im sick of looking at it - all my cakes and cupcakes are frosted with flavoured bc and im interested in trying ganache for these macaroons -

my query is, im really super careful re perishable stuff and have only just started using cream cheese frosting as a cupcake topping so ganache freaks me out - i know the cream is boiled so when its mixed with chocolate does this mean it no longer needs to be refridgerated? I have been looking up receipes and none seems to state catagorically to store in the refridgerator - im basically asking cause the macaroons will be sitting in my glass cabinets all day and obviously i dont want them to go off!

PS is anyone else on here a macaroon convert? They are just so cute i can wait to make a display of all different colours!!
any help much appreciated icon_smile.gif

3 replies
theSophistiCakesshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theSophistiCakesshoppe Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 4

I LOVE French Macaroons! So fun to make, but time consuming. I wish I could answer your question accurately about the ganache, but I am not certain myself. I have iced cakes using ganache as an icing and left it out for a couple days, it never turned on me or soured. But maybe we should get some more professional input on the subject.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 4

Strangely enough last night I made my first succesful batch of French almond Macarons- feet and all.
I didn't find them time consuming at all- actually probably the fastest cookie I've ever made (if you don't count the 1 hr of sitting around they ahve to do).

I like putting nutella with them- the combination of almond and nutella really does it for me.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 4

You can leave ganache out for several days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%