Customer Bought Kit- Wwy Charge??

Business By sjbeatty8 Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 6:32pm by indydebi

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 9

I have a customer that bought a cake kit and wants me to make the cake and use the kit. What would you charge for this??? Would you charge regular price since your still doing all the work??? or would you give a discount since you dont have the design time, kit cost, etc into it.

Thanks

8 replies
SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 9

I don't use kits at all, so this is just an opinion. To me it would seem it takes a lot less work to make a cake with a kit; I would discount my price.

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 9

Well, first of all what is the cake kit?? Is this a character kit? If so, remember about copyright laws. Second, if it's not anything that would fall under the copyright then I would say charge the same amount. Your ingredients don't cost less and neither does your time, utilities to make it, etc, etc. IMO, I wouldn't charge any less. The only thing that you're not having to do is purchase this cake kit. Hope all goes well and good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 9

I don't discount the cake just because a customer provides a topper/toy/kit etc...It's my electricity to bake the cake,my time away from my kids,my ingredients,use of equipment to get their cake looking special so I wouldn't discount anything..Besides how do you know the kit wasn't reduced by 50% at the store or someone gave it to them..You would be discounting for nothing because they paid next to nothing for it....

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 9

I have separate pricing for basic, kit, and custom cakes. I would allow a $5 discount only for the kit on my kit price

gladysrdz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladysrdz24 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 9

Same price. A kit is just a toy on top. It has nothing to do with you decorating cake.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 9

I say you're a cake decorator and regardless of using a toy (figurine/topper) you will use your skills plus ingredientes, etc. I will charge the same thumbs_up.gif or $5 discount max

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 9

I have buttercream only prices. If that is all I'm doing for this cake, then I would charge her that. If I am adding fondant/gumpaste, then I would charge her that pricing.

As for copyright, (I'm not a lawyer), would this count since the customer bought the kit? Technically you are not selling her the copyright image.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 9

I had a client who bought the castle kit and I charged her the same. Same work, same ingredients. And actually it was MORE work because of the castle design.

we say on here all the time "Have the client buy the toy to put on the cake" to avoid copyright infringement. Sounds like this is what the client did.

I wouldnt' discount it they bought the pan. Same work for me.

Same price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%