Red Velvet Cake Fillings.... Need Something New

Decorating By sweetts99 Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 2:01pm by tpatmore

sweetts99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetts99 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 16

Hello all! Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.
I have a red velvet cake coming up and am sooo tired of the normal cream cheese filling. However since this is a somewhat traditional viewed cake, people (like my DH) pooh pooh my ideas.
I need something different for a filling. I am just not sure. Everyone seems to taste something different when eating red velvet.
If anyone has something that will work well, please would you care to share?

Thanks oh so much! thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 16

I've made it with the cream cheese filling and added in mini chocolate chips for texture. But another yummy combination is whipped chocolate ganache. Oh so good!! HTH

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 16

I never thought chocolate would taste good with red velvet but I covered my last RV with choc. ganache to cover it with fondant and it was superb! I will definitely consider doing chocolate for RV fillings now (whether with cream cheese added or not).

Also, I've been wanting to try the canolli recipe that I've seen lots of people use (I forgot about it last time).

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 16

I always fill my Red Velvet with White Chocolate Ganache Buttercream..everyone LOVES iticon_smile.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 16

I had a customer order her entire wedding cake a few months ago in Red Velvet with Strawberry buttercream. Surprisingly, it was really good! I've also had a few customers love Red Velvet with Bavarian Cream Buttercream.....this is my new favorite combo for Red Velvet!

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 16

I have used both whipped White chocolate Ganache with and without fresh straberries and strawberry buttercream. I also have used a White chocolate coconut ganache. Good luck.

sweetts99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetts99 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 16

Thank You Thank You! I also never thought about chocolate with the RV cake. Guess I thought it would over power the cake. It just so happens I just today made some ganache, so I may just use the rest for the RV cake filling! Thanks oh so much! icon_biggrin.gif

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 16

My usual pairings with RV cake are to make a cooked/whipped flour filling..and ice the cake with a 7-minute frosting.

The flavor of traditional RV cake is so unique, that using anything else overpowers that wonderful taste (imho).

I can't remember what the filling is actually called, but it may be here in the recipes section, or Google it, and you'll find it.

HTH,
~ Scott

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 16

Wow, do these sound good. I'll have to try them the next time I make RV.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 16

I had a request several months ago for Chocolate Cream Cheese buttercream with RV.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #11 of 16

I also like cheesecake flavored buttercream

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:50am
post #12 of 16

I use the dreamy creamy white chocolate cream cheese icing ( in put it in recipes).

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 16

Scott- Are you talking about a twinkie type filling? It's cooked flour based. There's a recipe on CC and many out there. I tried it with white cake and it was awesome. I bet it'd be good in just about anything (red velvet included).

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyCarla

Scott- Are you talking about a twinkie type filling? It's cooked flour based. There's a recipe on CC and many out there. I tried it with white cake and it was awesome. I bet it'd be good in just about anything (red velvet included).

No, I think he's referring to the usual cooked icing that is paired with red velvet: it's the north way of doing it versus the southern way of using CC. I actually can't stand this type but that's just me!

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:24pm
post #15 of 16

Carla,
That is indeed the filling I was referring to. It's so light in texture, and flavor, that it seems to me to be the best filling for RV.

@aswartzw: I am curious now which cooked filling YOU are talking about.

tpatmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tpatmore Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:01pm
post #16 of 16

I have a request for peanut butter icing on red velvet cake?! Anyone ever do this and have any idea how it's going to taste?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%