Please Please Help!! Stacking Cakes (Some Questions)

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 2:41pm by jo3d33

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 3

I really need help for a cake im doing this weekend!!!
My cake structure is like this

10 inch square cake on the bottom. (2 inches high), then a 8 inch cake on top (also 2 inches high) and then a 6 inch cake on top (also 2 inch high).
The cakes will have BC b/w the layers (thin layer) and covered in BC and then fondant.

Some questions I had were:

1. What size wooden dowels do I use for stacking. As in how wide do they need to be (Im assuming they come in different diameters?)

2. Would the Wilton Plastic dowels offer more support and less risk of collapse? I worry with the wooden dowels would they slant in the cake and cause it to tear?

Ive seen some videos of stacking but read many posts on collapsing so now im worried!!! Please help!!!

2 replies
blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 3

1/4" wooden dowels would work fine, Use 4 or 5 in each layer, You could also use the plastic ones from Wilton. Make sure each tier of cake is on a grease proof board, even the bottom tier should be on a board and that board is then attached to the cake drum. You may want to consider a wooded dowel from the top to the bottom. Use a pencil sharpener to give the dowel a point so it goes through all the boards and into the cake drum. This will keep the entire cake from shifting. I always use wooded dowels and never have had any problems.

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 3

If your going to use the wooden dowels, use the smaller ones. You dont want to displace too much cake. I prefer to use the wilton plastic dowels. They seem to work better and they are easier to cut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%