How Long Before Cake Is No Good Anymore

Decorating By jade8 Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 4:47am by JanH

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:11am
post #1 of 8

Hi
Can someone tell me how long a cake is good for after being baked/decorated before it should be thrown out. Do fruit fillings/buttercreams add to a shorter shelflife? I always store any uneaten cake in the fridge.
thanks.

7 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 8

It completely depends on the type of cake, filling, icing, and how it is stored.

But as a general rule of thumb i don't like a cake sitting out more than 4-5 days (although not sure one even last that long around here)

I mostly use modified box mixes with a standard american buttercream and non-perishable fillings.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 8

I actually tested this one time, we had half of a full sheet cake (portions already cut and eaten) just sitting in a box with a lid on the counter...........we ate from the cake for a full week before it started to dry out, then I moved it to the garage and studied it. It took 2 months before any mold actually formed on it (pretty crazy), and the icing still looked normal even though there was mold, but the cake itself still appeared to be fine on the inside.

I would NEVER serve a customer a cake that was more than a day or two old (freshly baked for them), but you can certainly hang onto a covered cake for close to a week easily. If you think it will take longer than that to eat, then just freeze a portion of it. If the cake is uncut it will last much longer...............AND unless there is a persishable filling, I wouldn't refrigerate since that tends to dry out the cakes quicker.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 8

ditto KHalstead

Unless a cake has a perishable filling, refrigerating is a terrible thing to do to a cake.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 8

wow. i always assumed because there are eggs, maybe sourcream or milk depending on the recipe that cake should be refrigerated. i get the part about fruit fillings though.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade8

wow. i always assumed because there are eggs, maybe sourcream or milk depending on the recipe that cake should be refrigerated.

These items are no longer easily perishable once they've been baked.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 8

yep, it has to do with the ratio of fats to sugars or something, basically there is so much sugar that bacteria has a very hard time of living in there!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:47am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

yep, it has to do with the ratio of fats to sugars or something, basically there is so much sugar that bacteria has a very hard time of living in there!

Controlling water activity is key...

Water activity & microbial growth:
(Prolonging Bakery Product Life.)

http://tinyurl.com/ya8po4z

WJ Scott in 1953 first established that it was water activity, not water content that correlated with bacterial growth:

http://tinyurl.com/bmsato

Formulating for increased shelf life:
(Decreasing water activity results in hostile environment for bacteria.)

http://tinyurl.com/csu2b9

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%