Sugared Fruit, Halp?

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 8:13pm by what_a_cake

step0nmi Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:26am
post #1 of 8

So, i'm wanting to attempt sugared fruit for these cupcakes I am doing for a challenge. I want to do sugared fruit...but I want to do cut up slices of limes icon_redface.gif is this going to work? how long will they last with the egg whites and sugar on there? how far in advance can I do these?? I'm sure I can accomplish them but i just don't want to make them too far in advanced and i'm wondering if the exposed fruit will soak up the sugar and it won't have that effect i want icon_redface.gif

HALP icon_rolleyes.gif

7 replies
step0nmi Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 8

does anyone know!??? icon_cry.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 8

I was going to try to answer you until you said they were going to be sliced...I think the acide and moisture would effect the sugaring but that said all you can do is try it. I did sugared cranberries and rosemary for a christmas cake but I only did it a day in advance. I wish I could give you more help.
Good luck.

leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 8

I'm with sillywabbitz. I was gonna jump in until you said "sliced". You're gonna have to do some trial runs.

step0nmi Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 8

Darn, I was thunking the sliced might soak it up and you guys seconded my thought lol. Thabks for the replies! You're right tho...all I can do is try icon_smile.gif

CBMom Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 8

Could you try drying them first?

Slice, dry in your oven, then sugar?

The colour is going to change somewhat, but you'll still have the sliced lime.

sparkleshine Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 8

Slice them and leave them on the counter to air dry overnight. They'll get a skin on them from being dry. Not sure it'll work but that's where I would start for a trial run. Freshly sliced will def. not work.

what_a_cake Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 8

I've candied lemon slices in the past, the process is not complex but takes timmmmmme!

But... check this:

with these slices as start point you can make candied lemons in no time; just soak dried slices in a solution of two parts honey to one part water. Let dry either on air or in a very low oven. Repeat two times. Once half way dry, dip in white crystal or sanding sugar for a better look, let dry completely and keep on air tight container.

hope it helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%