Thanksgiving Cake Ideas Needed!!! Please

Decorating By CupcakePrincess986 Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 4:26pm by 7yyrt

CupcakePrincess986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakePrincess986 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:03am
post #1 of 7

im 12 years old and im having thanksgiving at my house this year. i want to get more baking practice and i want to be challenged with a more difficult cake!! so i want to bake a thanksgiving theme cake for the holiday. i was thinking a cake shaped like a turkey but how would i do that? do i need different shaped cake pans? and what about decorations? i just need ideas please!! THANKS icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:16am
post #2 of 7

Go to Search and search Thanksgiving and turkey. You will get lots of ideas there. Then when you have decided on a cake we can help you with how to make it.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:39am
post #3 of 7
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 7

Because you are so young I am not sure what your skill level is, so I don't know if this would be too much for you.

I didn't have egg pans and didn't want to waste too much cake by carving from sheet cakes, but I do have oval cake pans! I used several different sizes of ovals and had a few good pictures of turkeys (all a little different so I could remember that none of them look alike) and started carving!

I actually used small ovals cut in half and carved a little for the turkey legs, but you could use rice krispy treats or just fondant to make those - covering them in fondant and attaching them to the cake was difficult for me because they were actual cake so they were delicate and heavy!

If something like this would be too difficult, you could do a flat 2 dimensional cake in the shape of a live turkey or a big leaf, or a pumpkin - you can print out a picture and then cut it, lay it on the cake, and cut around it. You ice it and decorate however you want to from there icon_smile.gif

CupcakePrincess986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakePrincess986 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

Because you are so young I am not sure what your skill level is, so I don't know if this would be too much for you.

I didn't have egg pans and didn't want to waste too much cake by carving from sheet cakes, but I do have oval cake pans! I used several different sizes of ovals and had a few good pictures of turkeys (all a little different so I could remember that none of them look alike) and started carving!

I actually used small ovals cut in half and carved a little for the turkey legs, but you could use rice krispy treats or just fondant to make those - covering them in fondant and attaching them to the cake was difficult for me because they were actual cake so they were delicate and heavy!

If something like this would be too difficult, you could do a flat 2 dimensional cake in the shape of a live turkey or a big leaf, or a pumpkin - you can print out a picture and then cut it, lay it on the cake, and cut around it. You ice it and decorate however you want to from there icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much for those ideas! I have taken cake decorating classes and I have a good kit so I think ill be okay. And also my mom and oler sister will help me too!!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:58am
post #6 of 7

Good luck and remember to have lots of fun doing it!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%