Tips??? Where Do You Find/ How Do You Make The Time To Ice??

Baking By CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 2:55am by CocoaBlondie

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

Just thought I would throw the question out there, am interested to hear how we all make time for our passion for cookies? Got any tips?

for me, it seems that I wait till my kids are in bed to do the actual icing, but that has me up till all hours of the morning... not so good when you have to get up again and get them off to school or go to work at 7am.

all the other waking hours of the day, I am thinking of how I would do cookies or planning or looking for ideas and and and, yes, I am a bit obsessed.

5 replies
Cindsters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindsters Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 6

I'm with you!! I usually mix the batter with my kids, bake them when they go to bed, wait until the next evening to decorate when they are in bed again. With limited free time, we have to fit it in where we can.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:02am
post #3 of 6

I do cakes, not cookies, but I have a seven month old so I find myself making the icing and actually icing the cake after I put my baby to bed. Last night I finished icing and decorating about 12:30. I tell myelf every time, I won't get my cake iced during the day, but something always happens and I end up icing in the middle of the night. Oh well. Maybe next time!

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:25am
post #4 of 6

I have a 4 year old and don't want to miss out on time with him so I too wait until after bedtime and often find myself staying up in the wee hours of the morning to finish decorating a cake. Thank goodness for my supportive husband who will not only clean the kitchen for me, but also lets me sleep in on my nights when I'm up.

I have tried something new recently and it's really helping. (Keep in mind I only do cakes), but I used to do all my baking 2 days before the date it was due and then spend the next night decorating. I've extended my process by 1 day and bake 3 nights before, then the following day I make all my fillings and icings and torte, fill, and ice my cake. This has been a big help as it takes away time spent doing it all in the same day. Then it only leaves either covering in fondant or just finish decorating for the day before pick up! icon_smile.gif

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #5 of 6

Glad to hear I am not the only one up most of the night icing cookies ( or cakes)

It certainly is easier to concentrate on at night when kiddies are in bed.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:55am
post #6 of 6

I'm much like everyone else. I work on my cakes during naptime & bedtime. I don't like to miss out on my time with them. I find myself breaking my task up into days. One day to make fondant or gumpaste pieces, another to bake, fill, & ice, & one to decorate. Even with all that I still seem to be up to 2-3:00 at night, & up at 6:30 to pack lunches & get them ready for school.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%