Gumpaste/fondant Figurines

Decorating By MissBlu Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 11:40pm by momvarden

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 9

I hope some one can guide me in the right direction for making a gum paste/Fondant figurine... I am using 50/50 mix - I am not sure if I am using the right ratio. The issue I am having is sculpting a smooth face. The one head I already made seemed ok with some very minor cracks, once it dried - it looked like it "aged" 30 years.

TIA for your help.

8 replies
tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 9

Sounds like your mixture is too dry to me. In the paste, I have used Wilton's fondant and also MMF to make my figurines. I added Tylose powder to my MMF to give it more stability; Wilton fondant is ok as-is. icon_smile.gif I also work with shortening on my hands. I keep them nice and greasy while making my figurines. haha

tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 9

oops...typo. *In the past,*

russette80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
russette80 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 9

I only use MMF and add Tylose powder, never cracks and is sooo smooth. I will not use anything else for characters. I will only use gumpaste for flowers.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 9

Work with a little shortening on your hands, that should help a lot. I use fondant mixed with a little gum tragacanth (about 1 tsp per 500g fondant) for all my figurines, and that works well for me.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussette

I only use MMF and add Tylose powder, never cracks and is sooo smooth. I will not use anything else for characters. I will only use gumpaste for flowers.

do you know how much tylose to mmf you use off the top of your head? if you don't mind. i have tried doing this before and it did not seem to make a difference for me.

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the info = )

tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 9

If you look at some of the tuts on youtube about fondant figurines, you'll see it's a pinch. So, I don't know exact amount that I use but you can feel the difference. icon_smile.gif

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 9

thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%