Imbc Vs Smbc

Baking By cloetzu Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 11:37am by luddroth

cloetzu Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 3

I've never made either of these but would like to try one... wondering if someone who has made both and used them to ice a cake can tell me how they differ - from a consitency, spreadability etc perspective - ie which one do you prefer for covering a cake and why?

2 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 10:31am
post #2 of 3

I use IMBC. I use Warren Brown's recipe from Cake Love. Here's a link to his recipe on YouTube:

The main difference between the two recipes is in the preparation. I never wanted to try SMBC because it looked like a PITA to make. I would rather whip my whites and wait for the syrup to come to temperature than have to constantly whisk over a water bath, but to each his own.

Some will say IMBC is more stable but I haven't tried SMBC so I can't say.

The consistency of IMBC when used right out of the bowl after making is like a heavier whipped cream. It's very easy to work with. Since it's all butter, you have to work quickly when piping or it will get soft from the heat of your hands. No big deal...have a spare bag filled with icing and pop the soft one in the fridge or in a tray of ice to get firm again.

Hope this helps.

luddroth Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 11:37am
post #3 of 3

I use SMBC, Toba Garrett's recipe and I don't whisk the egg whites over a water bath. I just whisk the egg whites with the sugar over a medium flame until the sugar is completely dissolved, no grainy feeling, and the mixture is hot to the touch. Then put the eggwhite mixture in your room temp KA bowl and whip until stiff peaks. Then change to the paddle and add the cut-up cold butter. I find it easy and unbelievably delicious. Just like IMBC, however, it does not crust and it softens if it gets too warm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%