Do I Offer Too Many Products?

Business By MariaK38 Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 3:14pm by tinygoose

MariaK38 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 10

I'm thinking I might be. I started out a little over a year ago offering buckeyes, something I've made for years for gifts for friends, etc. They really are my featured item/what I'm "known" for. When I worked my first craft fair I felt I had to offer something in addition to the buckeyes. So I dipped some things in chocolate... pretzel rods, nutter butters/oreos, peppermint sticks, and marshmallow pops. Fast forward a few months and I discovered I really liked cookie decorating, so I decided to offer that and I've actually done quite a few orders for people, especially ones done with my edible ink printer. Then I made some cupcakes for my daughter's birthday, loved them, so I'm offering those. I've done a couple of orders and one cupcake wedding. I've recently branched out on the cupcakes and I'm offering cupcakes in cups (layered with frosting and toppings) and possibly the cupcake push pops. And for my next craft fair, I'll be making pecan turtles, too. I don't offer everything at the craft fairs, just 5-6 things. I offer everything on my website, though.
Why do I keep thinking I need to offer so many things? Do you all do this, too? Is it just my need to make everyone happy and find the next thing that will increase my number of orders? Should I scale back? Help!

Thanks! Maria

9 replies
peg818 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 10

If you can manage what you are offering why would you want to scale back?? As long as you can do it and do it well, then i see no need to scale back your offerings.

KHalstead Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 10

I offer cakes (wedding, sheetcakes, topsy turvy, carved, 3-d cakes) and decorated cookies, as well as "normal cookies" like choc. chip, oatmeal, peanut butter, and some candies as well. cake truffles, cupcakes, etc.

I do most of my "normal cookie" orders at Christmas time and mostly do cakes with occasional cake truffles and decorated cookies. Honestly, it sounds/seems like a lot but I think my customers love having a big menu to choose from!

Only YOU can decide if you're offering TOO MUCH.

MariaK38 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:19am
post #4 of 10

thanks! I can keep up with it, I just wonder if people think I offer too much. I just can't stop getting ideas from this site! I really do need to stop making new things.
I'll try the cupcake push pops and see how they go, then that's it!

scp1127 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:26am
post #5 of 10

I offer a wide variety too. I have pricing down to time plus ingredients (simplified). As long as I stick to the time schedule, I can make anything. My business is "made to order" and all paid in advance. And when you think about it, most every dessert ingredient is on a short list, so I don't have any more inventory on hand for the varied menu. I make two unrelated things at once so that the down time for one recipe is filled by active time for the other recipe. The same active/inactive hourly plan applies to part time employees. This makes for a very profitable per hour rate.

tinygoose Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:35am
post #6 of 10

Ok, I'm dying to know. What is a cupcake push pop?

MariaK38 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 10:58am
post #7 of 10

re: cupcake push pop, here's a link to Sprinkles Custom Cakes Cake Shooters... mine will be similar, just different flavors...

bellatrixothersis Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 10

Wow, want to try these, where do you get the containers for these?

MariaK38 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 10

hi! I got mine from bakedeco dot com. I've also seen them on pastrychef dot com.

tinygoose Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:14pm
post #10 of 10

Cool, but .50 cents a container? And more plastic to go in the landfill. Not a fan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%