Sugar Shack Buttercream

Baking By CocoaBlondie Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 6:28am by srkmilklady

CocoaBlondie  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 18

Hey everyone, I've been having very inconsistant BC. I recently purchased Sharon Zambito's BC DVD & I'm amazed by the smoothness of her recipe. I just have one question, I've searched on CC & online & have no input on how it taste. I have a impulse to buy up a large qty. of sweetex, but I'm just not to sure. I use a 50/50 mix of crisco & butter right now. I would love anyone's input who is fimiliar with it or has any other tweaks to it.

17 replies
 newcakester  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 18

I love, love, love this BC recipe. I purchased the DVD and follow her directions exactly for a 5qt mixer. Perfect, smooth great tasting BC every time. It is amazing and taste wonderful.
It makes a full bowl of BC and the first couple of times was a little messy until I kinda "got the hang of it", but the last few batches I have made have been no problems.
I am experimenting with freezing it. I want to see if it will keep the smooth texture once defrosted.

CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks for answering. I to wondered about freezing. She stressed the issue of filling the bowl. I have a 6qt. bowl & was wondering what to do with the extra for a small cake order. Let me know how it turns out.

rlczech0348  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlczech0348 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 18

What is the recipe for sugar shack bc?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

CocoaBlondie Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:33am
post #5 of 18

5 cups of sweetex shortening (hi ratio)
5 pounds PS
4TBS wedding bouquet flavoring or flavoring of choice
11-12 TBS hot coffee creamer liquid

sweetheart6710  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:46am
post #6 of 18

Is wedding bouquet like creme bouquet?

DeeDelightful  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:08am
post #7 of 18

It freezes/defrosts very well. I either re-whip it or stir thru it a few times with the spatula and it's ready to go once it thaws. It also has a great flavor, which can be changed by the flavor of the coffee creamer and extracts. It's a perfect crusting buttercream, too.

csue  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csue Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:23am
post #8 of 18

No to the question of wedding vs creme bouquet. I actually do not like the creme bouquet but I do love wedding bouquet. I have a frozen batch of Sharon's BC, I may just try it out tomorrow on a small cake for my grandson's birthday.

rlczech0348  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlczech0348 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:30am
post #9 of 18

Where do I get sweetex shortening? I did a quick google search, I take it it is very expensive? icon_smile.gif

CocoaBlondie Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:33am
post #10 of 18

Thanks for the info. I will make sure to purchase the wedding bouquet flavoring. I'm glad to hear it freezes well. Do you get air pockets when you restir it?

CocoaBlondie Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:37am
post #11 of 18

Sweetex can be purchased from Global Sugar Art. It is not that expensive, compared to butter. It may be a little higher than crisco though.

DeeDelightful Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 18

It may appear to have air pockets in it after stirring, but it still smooths very well, plus i go over it with a Viva paper towel.

sillywabbitz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 4:27pm
post #13 of 18

I love this recipe and I've used various hi-ratio shortenings with it because locally we can't get Sweetex and I can't justify shipping it. Some hi-ratio's work better than others.

For flavor, I really love the Italian Sweet Cream coffee creamer as my base flavor. I add a little vanilla and sometimes a little almond. I originally found it in powder form but now I only seem to find it in liquid.

I also like the Parisian Almond if I'm doing a chocolate cake or a WASC cake with almond flavoring. I freeze mine all the time and I don't restir. I use the plug method shown here
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588591.html

and when I make a large batch, I make several plugs. Put them all in a freezer zip lock bag and when I need one, I just pull it out set it on the counter and a few minutes later I'm ready to go.

The only time I had to "reblend" was when I make citrus buttercream. I think something in the flavorings separated slightly so I popped it in a small bowl, gave it a quick stir and made another plug. But my standard buttercream works great straight out of the freezer.

diamonds-and-rust  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:49pm
post #14 of 18

I, too, love love love Sharon's BC recipe....I have made it with the HRS and also with regular shortening. IMHO there is a tremendous difference. HRS produces light, fluffy BC devoid of airbubbles, the BC made with regular shortening (even with the trans fats!) makes a big ole bowl of hot mess thumbsdown.gif
I don't know if they have Cash and Carry in your area, but I just purchased 50 lbs of Sweetex for just a tad over $40.00....and they also carry Bettercreme icon_smile.gif
If there is no Cash and Carry in your area, try Gordon's, Smart and Final, or even Sysco.
I have frozen Sharon's recipe with great success. I always have her BC in myfreezer, pre colored and ready to use....I just give it a little whip before using and I'm good to go.

KayMc  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 11:52pm
post #15 of 18

Once you taste Sugarshack's bc recipe, you will NEVER go back to crisco again.

srkmilklady  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:15am
post #16 of 18

I tried Sharon's recipe last week for the first time and I loved it! I had to make 2 batches because I was filling and covering a full sheet cake. Now I have about 2/3 of a batch left. So back to the question of freezing...is it okay to just put it into a plastic container with a lid...should it be wrapped with plastic wrap? What is the best way to do this?

Also, if I didn't freeze it, how long can it be kept and how? In a covered container just on the counter or should it be refridgerated?

TIA... icon_smile.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:56am
post #17 of 18

I used to use the buckets of Wilton frosting, so I still have those buckets for my Sugarshack buttercream, put a layer of plastic wrap on top of the icing and the lid...lost one of my lids so i put foil over the top and put in the freezer. I usually don't leave it out on the counter. I will keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks. if it's going to be in there that long, i freeze it.

srkmilklady  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:28am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

I used to use the buckets of Wilton frosting, so I still have those buckets for my Sugarshack buttercream, put a layer of plastic wrap on top of the icing and the lid...lost one of my lids so i put foil over the top and put in the freezer. I usually don't leave it out on the counter. I will keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks. if it's going to be in there that long, i freeze it.

You just reminded me...I have a couple of empty buckets from the "Duff" buttercream I tried that I could use. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%