Pumpkin Cake

Decorating By Tracy71 Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 8:43pm by grandmomof1

Tracy71 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 18

I am going to make a pumpkin cake and I want to airbrush it to make it look like it is carved.
1st question - What is the best way to airbrush the pumpkin to make it appear real? What colors should I use? Should I tint the MMF first and airbrush the crevaces of the pumpkin? How can I make the pumpkin look carved? Should I paint under the MMF yellow and actually carve the top of the MMF?
2nd question - would you recommend using a bunt pan for this one?

17 replies
VickeyC Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 18

I made a pumpkin shaped cake last week and I used 2 pyrex bowls of the same size to create the pumpkin. I carved a v canal down the sides to give it the shape of a pumpkin and then dusted the crevises. (Hope that makes sense) thumbs_up.gif
There is a pic of this cake in my photos. HTH

Vickey

all4cake Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 18

If wanting to airbrush it with the carved face in it, I would say to color your fondant, the innermost/fleshy portion of the pumpkin. Pin facial/areas to 'carve' template pieces in place. Then, airbrush with the external color and darker shade(brownish) for crevices. Remove template pieces outline with a slightly darker shade both on the innermost and outermost depths of the 'carved areas...

VickeyC Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 18

Sorry didn't notice that you meant carved as in a face on the pumpkin. I guess my mind is still on fall and not yet on halloween. icon_sad.gif

Occther Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 18

On one of the Food Network Cake Challenges, Broween Weber "carved" the features into a globe (or maybe a pumpkin - trying to remember which.) Anyway, I think she used thick layer of buttercream and covered with fondant and then basically used her fingers and tools to model in the features. I think it would be fun to try that technique.

Tracy71 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 18

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.....I think I might try using the tools over a thick buttercream, but how would i get the center of those parts yellow to simulate a lit carved pumpkin if I tint the MMF orange?

Tracy71 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 18

Also, what color would be best to airbrush over the orange tinted MMF to make the crevaces of the pumpkin look realistic?

all4cake Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 18

either ice the cake the 'lit' color or place a thin layer of fondant in that color in those areas before applying the orange outer pumpkin colored fondant...then, when you carve those areas, the 'lit' color is exposed.

all4cake Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

...and darker shade(brownish) for crevices. ...

zaco Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 18

I made a pumpkin cake last week and I think this is the type you are looking for: http://zacocakes.blogspot.com/2010/10/jack-o-lantern-cake.html
Read down my post to see how I did it. Good luck!

VickeyC Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 18

zaco, what is the recipe for the black fondant that you mentioned in your post? It sounds really yummy and the cake was very cute.

Tracy71 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 18

Zaco.....great pumpkin. Please tell where you got the recipe for black fondant.

sweetjan Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 18

This is a little bit off the topic, but it's still about pumpkin cakes....hope this question is OK to ask here: does the pumpkin cake require a sturdy cake (like a pound cake) or will a regular cake be ok?
Thanks in advance.
Amazing cake, Zacko

zaco Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:36pm
post #14 of 18

It is one of the most favorited recipes on CC. I don't remember which one, and I didn't use any measurements, but what I did was:
slowly melt about half a bag of mini mashmallows over stove, I also threw in about 1/4 cup of semi sweet chips (but I think it would have been better to do that after the MM were melted)
oh and I added a bit of dark corn syrup to help it mix...maybe 1-2 tbspn
once all melted I added about 1/4 hershey's dark baking cocoa, then black wilton dye...maybe 1/2 tspn
when it looks like tar it's ready to have the powdered sugar (I just keep adding till I get the consistency I like)
Then I wrapped and stored in fridge for a few hours. Zapped for 8 seconds on low power in the microwave and it was the best fondant I had ever made!

Sorry I don't have measurements!!

I had read online that the only way you can get black fondant is to buy it. NOT TRUE!

Tracy71 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 9:25pm
post #15 of 18

I am using regular cake, but making it denser by adding a box of pudding and an extra egg.

sweetjan Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:39pm
post #16 of 18

Thank you, Tracy71!

Tracy71 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:26pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks to everyone for helping me on this. Feel free to check out the finished version in my pics.

grandmomof1 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 8:43pm
post #18 of 18

I actually was looking at this video the other day. There is a Part I and a Part II to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%