A couple of questions regarding ganache:
1) Can I use ganache over buttercream?
2) Can I flavor ganache to go with a kahlua cake with kahlua buttercream?
3) Once it is covered with ganache does it need to be refrigerated?
Thanks for the help. I am making a wedding cake for a very dear friend and want the smooth look of ganache, but haven't done it before.
1. If you are pouring ganache over the cake, you will need to do a crumbcoat of buttercream. Pour the ganache when it is still warm & fluid but NOT hot.
If you are FROSTING the cake w/the thicker 2:1 ration ganache, you can crumbcoat in ganache and then frost in ganache.
2. You can flavor ganache w/Kahlua. Add the liquor to the cream before you heat it up and don't use a lot. Too much alcohol might cause the chocolate to seize. If you want a stronger coffee flavor, use the LorAnn oil (made for candy) in coffee flavor.
3. Ganache itself does NOT need to be in the fridge. If you have a perishable filling, then the cake would need to be in the fridge. The ganache will set hard quicker if you chill it but it doesn't have to stay there.