I Hate Square Cakes!

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 7:33pm by Maria925

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 11

And I think they hate me too! I can't for the life of me figure out how to ice it to keep the corners sharp and the 2 recent times I've covered it in fondant, it was even worse! I use Magic Line pans so the cake corners come out razor sharp, but then I ruin them after that!

When icing them (I use Indydebi BC), I use a bench scraper to pull in from each corner. I manage that fine, but then I'm left with a "seam" that I can't figure out how to ice sharply!!

Any tips or advice on how to handle square cakes...is it just a practice thing????

icon_cry.gif

10 replies
Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 11

I'd say keep your icing coat super thin, just enough to attach the fondant. If it starts building up, you'll never get crisp edges. Also, you can try covering it in chocolate ganache. icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 11

i'm not sure how you're icing it to begin with, but i use the icer tip (looks like a large basket weave tip) when i'm icng the cake i wrap the corners so that the seams of my icing are on the sides of my cake. Then i smooth gently to get most of the seams out and use the melvira method to smooth.

If you're using a spatula to put the icing on then you'll want to build up around the corners and then "pull" the icing around the corner and down the next side so you "wrap" the corner with icing.

I'm not sure if I explained that well enough or not, hopefully it helped a little.

As for getting sharp corners with fondant i use two fondant smoothers and hold home right along the edge and then "smooth" the other side so I am giving it a 90degree corner. I know there is a video or tutrial out there somewhere for this technique, but i'm not sure where i saw it anymore. Maybe on youtube somewhere?

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 11

I still have my trials with the squares...not as bad as I used to. As I am a more visual learner, I watched several videos on you tube that helped. These are a couple, but there are several good ones.

HTH... icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 11

I had difficulty with the corners also until I watched Sharon Zambito's DVD. I think it was the buttercream one. She patiently takes you through the whole procedure. I can't recommend her videos enough.

Maria925 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all for the tips & the videos...which I will definitely be watching! Leily I do use the icer tip but I wasn't wrapping it around. I was stopping at each corner so I will definitely try that next time!!! I do need to invest in some of Sharon's DVD's...maybe a Christmas present to me icon_smile.gif

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 11

Yes...Sharon's DVD's are on my Christmas wish list too!! I just made her Sugarshack icing recipe for the first time last week and it was oh sooooo nice to work with!! thumbs_up.gif

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 11

I'm not a pro at corners at all.. but I recently found this article here on CC, and can't wait to try it.

http://cakecentral.com/articles/109/how-to-frost-a-square-cake

I have also been reading that people will freeze their cakes after the buttercream before they add the fondant, so the fondant doesnt weigh down and mush any sharp corners. I have even read of some people applying fondant and then putting it back in the fridge to help 'set' the fondant so it will hold the sharp corners before the buttercream has a chance to warm up again.

Hope that helps... like I said, I'm not great at corners, but recently I have been reading a lot, and that is what I have found. Good luck.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

If you're using a spatula to put the icing on then you'll want to build up around the corners and then "pull" the icing around the corner and down the next side so you "wrap" the corner with icing.

Here's some photos of what I believe leily is talking about. "Push" the icing around the corner....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=529543&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Here's some photos of what I believe leily is talking about. "Push" the icing around the corner....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=529543&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

that's it!

Maria925 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 11

Indydebi thank you so much for the photos! Yes that does help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%